My current project... thoughts?

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
I'm modding a gateway connected touchpad.

This isn't my site, but it's got pics of the initial product.

I've got it ripped out of it's original casing because it (the casing) was too big. I've got win2k on it but am considering going to either Me or some flavor of linux.

The end goal? I want to somehow get this installed in my car. The 4 gig drive should be enough to store enough MP3's, and I'll write some code to drive a couple of steppers to do the climate control (I'm quite confident that the AC/heater is analog in my car, although I wish it was controlled by some sort of digital means with which I could interface). Then I just have to wire the sound output somehow to an amp to drive my car speakers. Probably the biggest issue will be figuring out how to rip out the panel in my Neon in such a way as to make the installation pretty enough.

Any other suggestions/comments on this project are appreciated. No, I don't see autopilot options in the works here.

Just to let you know, it's got a 400 Mhz processor, I think 256 megs of RAM (might be 192 or even 128, not sure atm), RJ45 connector (ethernet), 2 USB ports (1 of which I'll have to figure out how to interface to a stepper and then write drivers. That'll be a pain... help?), a wireless keyboard/mouse, and best of all, the screen is a touchpad. I can't play divx's on it. Too slow. Main function will probably be the mp3 player, and I can plug a laptop into the NIC to upload more music when I get tired of the 3 gig playlist or whatever.

Anybody have any experience with this kind of stuff?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
sounds like a worthy project to attempt!

you might want to check out some neon forums (i think there's a couple heavily populated ones out there) for advice on the actual "putting it in the car" part

be pretty sweet to war drive with if you put wireless in it too!