My Crysis 2 thoughts...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I only play games on PC first of all...

Playing on the rig in signature...

Is the story coherent? For me, not really until the end, where it kind of ties back to the first game, IMO...

Graphics? Look fine to me. Everyone complained about the first one demanding too much of the PC, I think this one demands just enough...

Consolized? Is it? Still no way I could aim as well in this game on a console as I can with my mouse and keyboard...

I think many here get caught up in benchmarks, graphics, etc etc...

Games are supposed to be fun, remember when just kicking a red rubber ball outside and running around the bases was fun?

Play Time? Well if you play on EASY any game will go by fast. I play on the highest difficulty there is; yeah, I die a lot but part of the fun for me is figuring out how to beat the game, not let it beat me...

All in all, I give Crysis 2 an 8.5. A better story line would have gotten it a better score...

Last edited:

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
I love the game. Only one thing bothers me, and it's something that is really either my fault or bad game design. I've never experienced this 'Epic battle in Grand Central Station' the way others have. The first time i played it i found myself in a position where it was really easy to take out the 'boss', and once that's taken care of the level is over.

There is another level almost the same when one of them breaks through a wall and you have to take it out, all the while trying to handle the smaller ceph at the same time. I think it was intended that you run around using the available cover and have a difficult time of it. Once again there is an easy place to go which takes the challenge out of it. Now that i know where these places are it's hard not to go straight to them when i replay the game :D

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
there is no DX10, nor DX11. There is a DX10.dll driver, which means the game had DX10 support in it.
However they didnt make it available, nor do i think they will.

And i think they even Can'd DX11.

Sorry, this is why us gamers say they got lazy.

Bring out DX10 and DX11 support on the game, then we might be peaceful.

As it is now, the game is entirely on DX9... Why? Because consoles only can run dx9.

Large multi player community? For WHO?
Name 1 game where the PC Port and Console port share the same game server.

Crytek got lazy... sorry... there isnt any bs they can say to cover up for it.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
there is no DX10, nor DX11. There is a DX10.dll driver, which means the game had DX10 support in it.
However they didnt make it available, nor do i think they will.

And i think they even Can'd DX11.

Sorry, this is why us gamers say they got lazy.

Bring out DX10 and DX11 support on the game, then we might be peaceful.

As it is now, the game is entirely on DX9... Why? Because consoles only can run dx9.

Large multi player community? For WHO?
Name 1 game where the PC Port and Console port share the same game server.

Crytek got lazy... sorry... there isnt any bs they can say to cover up for it.

Now I would like you to name a game that uses DX11 that looks better then Crysis 2.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Now I would like you to name a game that uses DX11 that looks better then Crysis 2.

Metro 2033, BFBC2. There are other DX10 and DX9 games that look better as well.

That said, the original Crysis looks better than any game on the market for any platform.

But Crysis 2 certainly does not look like crap or have bad graphics, but they are nothing special.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
that's easy BFBC2

Oh man, I was hoping someone would say this as I just started playing this on the PC. Anybody who believes this is going on the ignore list, as it's just a blatant flat out lie. I'm stunned and how shitty the rock textures in particular look in BC. The giant boulders are a damn mess.

Crysis 2 may not be the best looking game, but it most certainly looks better than BC2. Anybody who says otherwise has ABSOLUTELY no idea what the fuck they're talking about. There's no way... none. I haven't found any area in BC2 that looks better. Fun game, but you're all nuts.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
that's easy BFBC2

Not easy at all. Unless you turned down the graphics on C2 or didn't mess with the config mod, it's no contest. BFBC2 looks great, but I never thought it looked better than C2 at all. The lighting in C2 is soooo much better.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I can only assume that the OP is playing the game once it was patched a few times since release.

Missing the comments for the game on the release day of things like pressing a key on the hand controller to start, or the "adjust TV brightness" or even the locked on aim-assist that PC users had to go though or even the need for a third party software to adjust video settings to suit your own preferences.

you know, those things that is considered expected for a PC game.

Each to their own. I just found it lacking vs the first one.

SpeedZealot369

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2006
for me what killed the game was the A.I. So many times I would see enemies just standing and they are just soo stupid.

later parts of the game I was so bored and just wanted to finish it and get it over with I would just cloak my way through everyone and it worked 95 percent of the time.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Crysis 2 looks gorgeous, I don't know what people are complaining about...I will admit that the environments are bland compared to Crysis and Crysis Warhead, but it still does a pretty good job.

I'm not sure if I think Metro 2033 looks better or not though...

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
People are so polarised by the appearance of this game. Me, i love it! If you stand in one spot without moving and look for things to pick holes in of course you'll notice something, i.e textures that aren't up to par. But seriously, who plays a game stood in one spot? Crysis 2 is cinematic! It looks best when you are playing the game, when you are in motion. Who buys a movie just to pause it on one frame and critisize the detail? Nobody! You play it, right?

When you are moving around in the game the lighting is incredible. Depth of Field is like nothing i've seen in-game before and although the HDR & Bloom is a bit excessive, this can be turned down to make it as perfect to your eyes as it looks to my own. Even the inbuilt AA does a great job on both Foliage and other in game objects. When you're running along a pavement irl can you still see the exquisite detail of the tarmacs texture beneath your feet? Of course not, it's as blurry as hell!!

When i play this game i am totally immersed in it, which is the ultimate aim of any game.

Oct 27, 2007
Thank god you started your own thread. I was done reading the existing Cysis2 threads, but I never would have forgiven myself if I hadn't read Anomaly1964's opinion. Bless you, good sir. Bless you.

PS I agree with your assessment.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Great looking game and decent game play overall compared to some of the crap that's out there, Crytek did a good job for their first console port.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Metro 2033, BFBC2. There are other DX10 and DX9 games that look better as well.

That said, the original Crysis looks better than any game on the market for any platform.

But Crysis 2 certainly does not look like crap or have bad graphics, but they are nothing special.

You are remembering things from BC2 and Metro 2033 that I'm not. Metro 2033 was one of the most graphically over-rated games I've ever played. The character models/animations were so awful that I couldn't be wowed by anything else in the game. BC2 looks good, but Crysis 2 looks better.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I can only assume that the OP is playing the game once it was patched a few times since release.

Missing the comments for the game on the release day of things like pressing a key on the hand controller to start, or the "adjust TV brightness" or even the locked on aim-assist that PC users had to go though or even the need for a third party software to adjust video settings to suit your own preferences.

you know, those things that is considered expected for a PC game.

Each to their own. I just found it lacking vs the first one.

FYI, the aim assist was only applicable to controllers. Anybody who played with a mouse was not affected by aim assist.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
I got it this weekend, and have to say that it is a fairly lazy, consolized game (Single Player no Multiplayer).

Although the graphics are decent, if this is the best that the Cryengine can push compared to Crysis, then they have gotten very lazy. Remember the beautiful in game footage we were shown for the original Crysis, the mountains, hills, foliage, etc.? It was so much fun to shoot down trees and foliage, kick up a dust storm, break down street lamps, look at the sun, water and sky effect, setc. But this???? I realize it takes place in New York, but the street lights can stop a tank, trees don't move, buildings are generic, etc. It's like I am playing a better version of Gears of War or a dumbed down version of FEAR.

How about the graphics of Crysis, the AI of FEAR, and the immersion of Modern Warfare 1 and 2?

I am not saying it is a bad game, but after the first one, it is a letdown.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I got it this weekend, and have to say that it is a fairly lazy, consolized game (Single Player no Multiplayer).

Although the graphics are decent, if this is the best that the Cryengine can push compared to Crysis, then they have gotten very lazy. Remember the beautiful in game footage we were shown for the original Crysis, the mountains, hills, foliage, etc.? It was so much fun to shoot down trees and foliage, kick up a dust storm, break down street lamps, look at the sun, water and sky effect, setc. But this???? I realize it takes place in New York, but the street lights can stop a tank, trees don't move, buildings are generic, etc. It's like I am playing a better version of Gears of War or a dumbed down version of FEAR.

How about the graphics of Crysis, the AI of FEAR, and the immersion of Modern Warfare 1 and 2?

I am not saying it is a bad game, but after the first one, it is a letdown.

You complain about the graphics, but then your list of everything wrong with it is about the physics. The destructible trees, lamps, buildings etc are all related to how the physics are handled. I personally think just a little bit of destructible buildings would have made a HUGE difference in this game in particular. Bad Company 2 style building destruction would have been all that was needed to put a little extra flair into the physics system and make it seem a lot more impressive.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
The graphics was just one part (tree modeling, sun, sky, etc.). Yes, physics is another, and seriously hampers the game. I agree, dropping some building debris on the enemy, vehicles, etc. would be great. Using the environment in the first was a blast.