• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

My critique of high tariffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
1. High tariffs don't automatically mean high wages for the laborer. In order to get high wages for the worker, then there would have to be minimum wage and then a maximum wage. So high tariffs alone don't give the laborer a living wage. In addition to that, if the domestic laborer doesn't make good products because he's so protected by labor unions then the domestic laborers will have to pay high taxes to get good imports for themselves... and that decreases the quality of their life.

2. Tariff rates historically varied from industry to industry and that was because the most well connected industries got the highest rates legislated against the same industry in other countries.

Note that neither of the aforementioned are the main reason I am against tariffs, but I provided secondary reasons because I wanted to show why they dont work. Any attempts to argue against my points are welcome.

I don't think that high tariffs are as terrible as the income and payroll tax combined, but they still suck as do all taxes. I favor abolition of the current federal govt and replacement with nothing at best, and a reinstatement of confederalism at second best.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
We would be in a lot better shape if we had a level playing field with reguard to foreign trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY