My CPU Vs New CPU's? Worth Upgrading? Intel i7-2700K

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
I can use some help with deciding if I should build a new computer. Ever since updating to Windows 10, my computer feels a bit more sluggish, and Video editing can be painful. Are CPU's of today much quicker than the CPU I'm running? I checked some of those CPU comparison sites and it seems like CPU's are faster, but is it worth upgrading now or riding this rig out a bit longer?

Usage: I mainly use regular office applications so nothing too strenuous, with Photoshop and Illustrator mixed in. I want to do some video editing for personal use. I do not game at all, and my Video watching is either editing my own video's (2.4K with occasional 4K GoPro footage).

Computer Specs:
-Intel i7-2700K CPU
-Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
-Corsair 32GB (Can't recall which since they RMA's me new ones, but it is decent overall)
-SSD Hard Drive
-Integrated GPU Video
-Windows 10

All feedback appreciated.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Seems like AMD Ryzen or Intel Coffee Lake 6 core chips would be a nice upgrade for you.
Coffee Lake integrated graphics are going to be quite a boost as well.

Reactions: itakey

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
It depends on what kind of boost you'd consider worthwhile. Most of the programs you mention are single or lightly threaded, so more cores will only really help with parts of video editing. Single thread performance between a 2700K and a 7700K is about 40%, which is significant, but not earth-shattering.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It depends on what kind of boost you'd consider worthwhile. Most of the programs you mention are single or lightly threaded, so more cores will only really help with parts of video editing. Single thread performance between a 2700K and a 7700K is about 40%, which is significant, but not earth-shattering.
That would make it about a 50% ST boost for an 8700K then. That seems rather large. Multi thread boost must be staggering.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
Seems like AMD Ryzen or Intel Coffee Lake 6 core chips would be a nice upgrade for you.
Coffee Lake integrated graphics are going to be quite a boost as well.

That would make it about a 50% ST boost for an 8700K then. That seems rather large. Multi thread boost must be staggering.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 40%+ Seems like it would be a worthy upgrade.

So will I definitely have to upgrade my motherboard to upgrade my CPU, or are there any socket 1155's available that would be worth upgrading? I see that the chips you all have mentioned are socket 1151's.

So a new motherboard would be in order. Guessing that means new RAM would be needed as well?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Thanks for the feedback everyone. 40%+ Seems like it would be a worthy upgrade.

So will I definitely have to upgrade my motherboard to upgrade my CPU, or are there any socket 1155's available that would be worth upgrading? I see that the chips you all have mentioned are socket 1151's.

So a new motherboard would be in order. Guessing that means new RAM would be needed as well?
Yes, get into the modern world of fast DDR4 ram. :)

I would wait until October for Intel to release the new Coffee Lake chips and 300 series boards and then decide what you want to do.

Reactions: Headfoot and NTMBK

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Wouldn't a separate gpu help with the editing, especially a Cuda accelerated one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wouldn't a separate gpu help with the editing, especially a Cuda accelerated one?
Probably. He could do that in the meantime, pending some investigation on GPU acceleration for the particular software that he's using for video editing, until he decides on a full platform upgrade.

IMHO, for video editing and other content creation, consider a ThreadRipper rig. Unlike Intel, AMD has promised firmware and software updates, that will enable massive RAID arrays of NVMe drives at no additional cost or need for a dongle / button, which, alongside the 16C/32T ThreadRipper 1950X CPU, will greatly speed up your 4K rendering workflow.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Basically this, get a GPU, it's cheaper & will pay off in the long run. Besides anything (GPU) on 14nm is better than any other alternatives viz IGP.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I think a GPU upgrade would be something to consider, even a GT 1030, the Sandy Bridge IGP uses older drivers on WIn10 without OGL support it uses the generic MS driver for OGL, also, at least for me under heavy load situations I noticed slowdowns on the video performance using the IGP that I don't notice using discrete graphics.

but yes check if the softwares you use take advantage of OpenGL, CUDA, OpenCL and so on.

itakey

Sep 9, 2005
I may try to overclock the 2700K and see how it performs. Also may try a fresh load of Windows and see if that helps as well. If not i'll be buying components, good timing with Black Friday around the corner I suppose.

Jalseng

Dec 26, 2012
Not sure how much graphic demand is on Windows 10, but running an integrated gpu from an older cpu has it limitations. You can find older gpu for decent price these days and it should help a lot with your video editing. Also what is your cpu usage? If your not going above 80% you should be able to ride it out for a bit.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I went from a 2600k which is nearly identical to your 2700k to N r5 1600. Honestly for most of the things you mention like office apps any upgrade you make is going to make a negligible difference...definitely not worth it. I went to the r5 1600 because I have specific uses that benefit from more cores and threads.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
If you are still running at stock speeds, I would suggest overclocking that chip and see how it performs then, its essentially a free 25% performance boost.

If that doesn't provide enough of a peformance gain (or you are already running it overclocked) then the upcoming Coffee Lake i7 8700K may be of interest, should easily provide a 50%+ gain on the apps you mentioned, perhaps even more for video editing.

Reactions: VirtualLarry