My CPU runs games like a slide show projector? What can i do?

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
The Games i play are slowing down Really BAD how can i upgrade when ive reached the top.

There isn?t a System out yet that can run the games i play without slowing down ...

An AMD 3200+ Athlon ... runs at 4FPS in BF1942 Desert Combat mod with 64Bots ..when playing a small map with 40 bots walking next to each other down a hill while I?m in an apache chopper firing at them. only happens when bots are close together. in a group of more then 30 but still its jumping from 25FPS down too 4FPS

In age of mythology I lan up with my friend and we Vers.. 12 Computer players with maxed out unit's on titan difficulty and that game chugs .... to about 1 FPS

1FPS on a system with an AMD AthlonXP 3200+ and 1GB of DDR 400 ram
So I got my friend to host a game with 12 bots on his Intel P4 3.0Ghz 800FSB Also 1GB ram and he gets about 1 - 2 FPS more ... but its still unplayable at 2 ... 3 FPS ....

before you say its my video card or my friends ? what is better then a ..... Geforce FX 5900 and ATI Radion 9800 in the 3Ghz intel system.

The CPU?s out today are crap ? I hope Athlon64 can Help make these games run better because this is how me and him like to play our games maybe more then 512k on the CPU works wonders maybe a game written in 64bit code runs 12 A.I - RTS comps with more then 1 ? 2 Frames per second

Just wait for Homeworld 2 to come out .... if there is no unit capping on that game
I?m going to be watching a slide show when I exceed the limit of unites the CPU can handle.

You may run these games fine .... but if u play games like me just wait for all 12 Computers to max out 200 Unit's and watch your pride and joy fall to its knees @t 1 FPS.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Well, it would help if you told us what video card you are using. :confused:

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by: videoclone

before you say its my video card or my friends ? what is better then a ..... Geforce FX 5900 and ATI Radion 9800 in the 3Ghz intel system.

Maybe i should of made it clearer .... i'm using a Geforce FX 5900 and my friends using an ATI 9800 in his Intel 3Ghz System.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I'm using an XP3200 (overclocked XP2500) and a Ti4600 (overclocked Ti4200) and I have 1 GB of RAM and I have no problems that you mention. Maybe you're just trying to run too much eye candy? You got 4X AA and 8X AF on and all the detail in the game turned up to max?

*EDIT* I have most details in the game set to max, and I run 2X AA just to get rid of the sharp jaggies... no AF.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
Of course with 60 and 40 bots all on screan at once doing different things is going to slow down. i dont know a machine on the market that could handle that. The 9800 pro is awesime but that is an insane amount of bots man. Also on age of methology "12 bots on insane!!!!". That again is another reason it chugs. Think of it. Ever little unit,building,has there own details,own animation etc. When you have 12 comps playing and each has like 50 units, thats almost 600 units, each doing different things in battle and out each individually detailed with indic=vidual animations. The cpu could not process all this at once let alone the 5900 being able to model all this.

BTW. The cpu's out today are great. I never have problems with any games but come on man, look at what your trying to accomplish.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I've had bots crawling all over my screen in BF1942 as well, and mine never slows down that much... maybe you have too much junk running in the background?

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
I'm Talking about Desert Combat mod .... my BF1942 runs fine too !!!! ... Try playing Desert Combat and see how fine you run while your flying over 64 bots in a small group..... and get back to me !!

I'm not playing with any AA or FSAA

I?ve got a 120GB Western Digital 8MB Drive but the games are running off my dual channel DDR 400 so hard drive shouldn?t matter.

I?ve turned down graphics to the lowest of everything with minimal performance gain. its CPU being too slow for sure.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: videoclone
I'm Talking about Desert Combat mod .... my BF1942 runs fine too !!!! ... Try playing Desert Combat and see how fine you run while your flying over 64 bots in a small group..... and get back to me !!

I'm not playing with any AA or FSAA

I?ve got a 120GB Western Digital 8MB Drive but the games are running off my dual channel DDR 400 so hard drive shouldn?t matter.

I?ve turned down graphics to the lowest of everything with minimal performance gain. its CPU being too slow for sure.
All it takes is a chopper to clear all that out :)! But n e ways, seriously i get slowdowns to like 15FPS or so when i play with 64bots on BF1942 with alot going on. I Ramped the CPU time down to 15% for the bots. Try tweaking the settings it'll work fine. U and ur rich friend have fun :D!

Oh yea it's hilarious to watch the CPU try to fly the choppers.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
With bots and AI set to max, I can see a little of what you're talking about. But what you expect, thats a lot of bots.

BTW running DC on my old AMD 2.3GHZ (XP2100) w/Radeon 9700 PRO, w/1GB RAM.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
My main complaint is Age of Mythology me and my friend like playing 12 Comps on Titan ... but you cant play games in slideshow mode ....

With BF1942 DC ... Your still not doing it right .... Dude i play a small map where all 64 bots are in almost 1 small group ! on a bridge or something and i'm flying a Chopper over them firing at them and it chugs down too 2-4FPS

Running around the map play it runs ok about 35FPS ... it just when u get those 40+ guys on screen at the same time watch your system die!

It's only in Desert Combat .... probably got something to do with bad programming .. or higher Qty Detail either way its fun getting 50 kills in 1 go when u blow away all 50 bots with the apache but its not very fun doing it with 4FPS i want it to run good when do u think our computers will be able to do it?

PS: Comp A.I is set to default 40% - 25% i think or whatever Default CPU time too A.I is

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Ok... I just played BF1942 DC with bots set to 400% and 20% CPU time devoted to bots... between both sides, I'd say there was 40-60 bots on the screen, with helicopters in the air, planes flying by, and tanks driving around. And my FPS never dropped below 40 (had Fraps running on constant refresh, not just every second).

*EDIT* By the way... when I'm just "running around the map" as you put it, with maybe 5 bots on the screen, I get over 85 FPS... seems to stop around 100... so maybe I need to reset the max FPS... but probably not, cause I don't care about anything over 85 FPS since my refresh rate is at 85.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Played again on a smaller map, 400% bots, 25% CPU time, still didn't drop below 40, in fact it didn't drop below 50 this time.

videoclone

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Ok Go to CO-OP Multiplayer game set it to 64 bots and set it to Axies 1 VS 10 Allies ... so theres about 4 bots on your team and 60 bots on the other .. try that map that gives you 2 hinds and 2 apaches i think its called bocetch or something like that

its a green map with pine trees .... :) ...

The way you played the game i too get 40FPS .. 85 FPS :) .... but this should shug your comp good