My CPU is about 57degrees celcius .....Is this too hot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MortaniuS

Oct 12, 2000
accoding to the Abit HM im running 29C on the chip and 25c case temp
that good?
Thats with that big globalwin (fop38?)

-mortanius

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
On a kt7? Full Load or Idle temp? What bios revision?

if it is idle temp, that is about right. Depending on how fast your cpu is o/c to, the full temp should be in the 45-55C range.

Mike

MortaniuS

Oct 12, 2000
Um, i guess that would be idle, thats the temps when im just messing around in windows surfing the web. Yeah its a kt7 with teh newest flash (UH i belive)

-michael

Sharptooth

Oct 8, 2000
I have an AMD K6-III+ 450 overclocked to 600 MHz. I had to bump up the core voltage from 2.0 to 2.1 volts to have rock solid stability. The bios reports CPU Temp of 24 degrees Celsius (75 degrees F), and System Temp of 48 degrees Celsius (118 degrees F). The chip is cooled with a standard heatsink and fan (from Fry's Electronics) with thermal heatsink compound (from Radio Shack). My Addtronics 6890A ATX Full-Tower has two case fans too.

Not bad for a chip that costs $55.00 from PC Liquidator.

--Fernando

P.S. My system consists of the following:

Tyan S1598C2 Trinity ATX 2 meg cache
AMD K6-III+ 450 (overclocked to 600 MHz @2.1 volts)
128 Megs of PC100 Mushkin Cas2
IBM 20.5 gig 7200rpm 2 meg cache
Creative Labs Annihilator Pro 32 DDR
Creative Lab Sound Blaster Live! value
3Com EtherLink 3C900B-TPO Network PCI
Adaptec 2930CU Ultra SCSI PCI
Plextor 32X Ultra SCSI CD-ROM
Syquest EZ-Drive 135 SCSI
Iomega ZIP 100 SCSI
NEC MultiSync XP17
Microsoft keyboard
Kensington Expert Mouse
Mindspring DSL

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

I have a question related to this..

If I apply a thermal compound ( old cup of Wakefield Engineering ), should I remove the little metalic strip underneath my heatsink?

Another question... How crappy is the CoolMaster? that is what I have currently...

Strike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Do you mean the little sticker/cover.. If you remove it, it'll reveal a PhaseChange Thermal Compound. This stuff is the built in grease/paste(I don't know the specifics, DaddyG know's more). You don't really need to use your own grease, you could just use this stuff.

Sharptooth,

Older AMD chips suffer from teh same problems for temp reading as socket A and slot A amd chips, they don't support an onboard diode for temp reading. As far as your temps go, it is absolutely impossible to get your cpu running below ambient temperature.... I suspect that what you reported as your cpu temp is actually system temp, and what you said was your system temp is actually your cpu temp.

Mike

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Strike,

Not sure exactly what the 'Little Metal' strip is but PCTC can be 'Heat Fused' directly to the bottom of the hs OR it can be applied by a 'pressure sensitive application' meaning the compound is bonded to thin foil and stuck in place. Maybe this is the type you have.

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

Sorry I wasn't clear!

I have a metallic strip underneath my CoolMaster HSF.

I was wondering if I would get better cooling with a thermal compound instead, and also wondered if I wanted to try a compound, should I leave the strip on or off?

Strike....

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Strike,

When you say remove metal strip, how exactly are you thinking of removing it?? Is it the 'foil' that the PCTC was bonded to ?? If it is remove it. Anything else probably not.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Where you place the thermistor is most important. Do you have it touching the CPU core or the heatsink? It must touch the core to get accurate readings. The core is the hottest part of the CPU. And yes 57C seems hot dude eventhough the CPU can withstand higher temp but the average should be around 50C if everything is set up right.

SamWoo

Banned
Sep 27, 2000
For my 800mhz T-bird, I get 30C idle, and no more than 48C under a hour of full UT gaming

I'm using the stock HSF by the way with the thermal phase changing stuff that came with it...

SamWoo

Banned
Sep 27, 2000
case cooling could be a major factor...i have two Antec 80mm case fans with one sucking air across the CPU/HSF...my case temp never exceeds 27C

Strike

Sep 29, 2000
DaddyG

Sorry I missed your question, but I can't actually answer it. What is a PCTC?

The metallic pad is on the under side of the heat sink. It is a thicker pad..not something like the pad on the TaiSol heatsink. It is much thicker. Almost the thickness of duck tape.

But, I think what your saying is not to remove it, as this is the thermal conductor to the sink. Regardless, I have decided to get an Alpha...when they become available.

Strike