my CPu getting long in the tooth?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I play lots of games and am planning on getting some current ones around christmas (ARMAII, etc.)

CPU is a socket AM2 AMD64 x2 5000+

Board is just AM2 not AM2+ even though apparently you can drop in a AM2+ CPU but it sort of downgrades it.

Very interested in this socket AM3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819103650

How much more "oomph" can I get if I get the following; Right now games like in GTA 4 / ARMAII, I feel very CPU limited. Feel even CPU limited in ARMAI and older games at times...

Video card is a ATI 4850 , which should have plenty of power
windows XP (but might just bump up to the windows 7 RC)
2GB Ram

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Oh yeah. ARMA will bring that old dual core to its knees. You can put some of the AM2+ cpus in your mobo probably, but its limiting you to the older (worse) CPUs. You want something that supports AM3 phenoms. For ARMAII and GTA4, you def want a quad. Quads in those games make a HUGE difference, particularly in GTA4. I'd also get another 2gb or 4gb ram

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
a new generations of CPU is planned for release... i think it is sep 6th. i'd wait to see what they bring to the table, so far the pre NDA musings were basically (not verbatim) "i can't beleive how good it is, but i can't give you numbers yet due to nda" - anandtech

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Originally posted by: taltamir
a new generations of CPU is planned for release... i think it is sep 6th. i'd wait to see what they bring to the table, so far the pre NDA musings were basically (not verbatim) "i can't beleive how good it is, but i can't give you numbers yet due to nda" - anandtech

yeah, I got plenty of time thankfully!

I think I will do some CPU shopping for Santa's wish list come end of this year =D