My computer's always downloading SOMETHING, what's up?

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
I just restarted, and i'm downloading at 10k per sec!

So far, most of the connections are from the localhost, with different ports being used. I'm on a school network btw.

what could it be?

--edit--

my netstat

Okay, i just disabled the "network service" svchost.exe and my downloads are sub 2k. Can i assume all those connection attempts are from virused users on this network?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Not sure, but i know at my school the computer there are always uploading/downloading something, i think it's the admin program they have on there.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Spyware....

Or a system wide update is being pushed through.

Get ahold of the admin and ask him/her. Also let him know Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy will likely get rid of th spyware if that's the prob.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
install a software firewall, lets you allow or reject conections from programs.

install a program to monitor connection, i use netpersec, rather convenient graph in system tray to see if connection is working when it should/shoulnd't.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Which OS are you using?

You sure Automatic Updates arent enabled on ur computer?

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
When i say automatic updates, i mean windows updates from microsoft....

u sure you havent enabled it to download the updates for u?

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Ran spyware and got nothing. Automatic updates are off as well. I'm using winxp as well.

I'll try the firewall.

Murphq

Aug 7, 2003
My computer is also on a school network, that is infected with all the latest and greatest viruses. Constantly my computer is pinged by other computers on the network. If my computer sends a reply, the virus will download.

I installed a firewall before I ever plugged it into the network therfore stopping the spread.

I suggest a firewall but also get an updated virus scan, to get rid of anything that you got.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
No steam, but this is what my netstat looks like, even with pccillin's personal firewall ON:

my netstat

Okay, i just disabled the "network service" svchost.exe and my downloads are sub 2k. Can i assume all those connection attempts are from virused users on this network?

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Startup Programs explained

svchost (1) Svch0st.exe Added as a result of the GAYBIRD.B VIRUS!. Note - there is a number "0" in the executable filename, not a lower/upper case O. This is not the valid svchost.exe as described here
SVCHOST (2) svchost.exe System1060 homepage hi-jacker. Found in a Windows\System\1060 directory. Note - this is not the valid svchost.exe as described here
svchost (3) svchost.exe Added as a result of the MORB or TARNO VIRUSES!. This is not the valid svchost.exe as described here . Located in the Windows directory, and not in Windows/System(32)
SVCHOST (4) mrowyekdc.exe Added as a result of the GOTORM VIRUS!. This is not the valid svchost.exe as described here
svchost (5) Svch0st.exe Added as a result of the GRAYBIRD VIRUS!
svchost (6) <path to trojan> Added as a result of the HAZZER VIRUS!
svchost (7) ADMAGIC.EXE Added as a result of the SMIBAG VIRUS!
svchost.exe svchost32.exe CoolWebSearch hijacker - reroutes every thinkable URL for Google and MSN to CWS. Note - this is not the valid svchost.exe as described here

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Could be this too... it generates huge amounts of network traffic with relatively low throughput.

After looking at your netstat again, I'd recommend you try this - it's the welchia removal tool.