Question My computer will not recognize bootable hard drives. (Sometimes). It does recognize that they are detected. Currently happening.

lolalt

Mar 9, 2024
Hello,
This problem started about a year ago and has only gotten worse over time.

Sometimes "something" will happen. Sometimes the computer will not wake up from sleep. Other times a drive will randomly disconnect. If the drive randomly disconnects the computer will run perfectly fine until restart.
Upon restarting the PC, windows will not boot. The green light on the mobo will stay lit and BIOS will load right up (Which according to the manual means boot).

In the BIOS screen it will show that all of the drives are connected but nothing will appear in the boot section.

I did a clean install of windows on the primary m.2 drive when I built this PC in 2021. Other drives had windows installed as well, but I never boot from them.

The only solution to get my PC back on was to unplug the PC, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, and let the computer sit overnight. Usually this would result in drives appearing in the boot area in BIOS and the PC actually booting to windows. Sometimes this took a couple hours and other times it took a day or two. The computer would then work fine for however long until the issue strikes again. Seems to have gotten more frequent....and as stated it's not booting at all now.

However this time it's been like this for about a week. I've disconnected every drive but the m.2 drive, I've tried various modes in the BIOS (Which then show a bootable drive but it does not work). Still it just shows that the m.2 drive is connected but not a boot device.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue before? I am lost lol. Could it be like a capacitor failing or a faulty connection within the mobo circuitry? idk

Specs
TUF Gaming x570-PRO (Wi-Fi)
5800x - 32GB RAM (16 per stick) - 3080
BIOS - 5003

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB (Windows 10 install, from a USB drives using microsoft's installer)
CT2000P3SSD8

Can anyone give any sort of advice on what to do?
Is a new mobo the only way out?

lolalt

Mar 9, 2024
It is not and I can try that, thank you lol. I've posted my issue many places and have had very few even responses.

I don't think this is the issue as I had windows 10 installed on another drive and that one also does not appear when this issue occurs (It's either both or neither)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I assume you are using a UEFI install of WIndows 10? If so, the OS should show up as Windows boot manager, on the 980 Pro. Make sure that it is trying to boot into UEFI mode. It is also possible that this issue could be related to flaky power, either from CMOS battery, or possibly PSU, since you mentioned a full power off and sitting would sometimes allow it to boot again later. And of course it could just be the motherboard, as you suspected.

Other than updating your firmware, and ensuring proper boot order/mode, I would investigate power next. Try a new CMOS battery, and maybe a different PSU for testing. What is the PSU you have now and how old?

lolalt

Mar 9, 2024
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 Watts 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
It was purchased at a Microcenter in June of 2021

I need to get a pictures of what the BIOS shows at different steps. Nothing shows as bootable. Only when I tinker with the boot settings do drives show but then they just just state that its not a boot drive upon launch.

I'll have to look for my old PSU, but it's from 2012. Not sure if I still have it honestly I threw a few things out around covid time due to reasons....actually as I am typing this I realize I have a small one installed on another computer. But I would have to then find my very old graphics card as it won't power a 3080

I'll put in a new battery though, those I do have. And I'll try to clean all the parts for powder.