My Computer Keeps Crashing

Sir Levir

Mar 28, 2020
I am not too good with computers but I've had this computer for around 5 years. It is a desktop. My son replaced the graphics card and power supply that originally came with the computer around 4 years ago. Everything else is original to it when I purchased it. Every time crashes, it shows a blue screen with ":)" and it will go from 0% to 100% then restart, or just restart entirely without going to that screen, or go from 0% to 100% and just stay there forever. I tried factory resetting the computer and still the problem remains unsolved.

The parts of the computer are as follows:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Home

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Proce...

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 470

RAM: 8.00 GB

Please help, this is the only computer my wife and I own.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Are you running Windows 8, 8.1, or Windows 10?

When you get the blue screen, before it restarts, there should be a stop code error of some sort displayed. What is it?

Another thing you can do is search for Event Viewer in the Windows search box. Run it. On the left side of the viewer, if it is not open double-click on Windows Logs. Single click on the System log. On the right side of the screen, click on Filter Current Log. In the selection box that pops up, in the Event Level section, make sure Error and Critical are checked and hit okay. Are there any recurring errors there?

You should end up with something like this (you might have to expand the log size-wise to be able to read it):

1585491710634.png

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Download 'HWMonitor' (free version) from www.cpuid.com , and monitor temps and voltages, if you can stay booted into Windows that long.

If not, go into BIOS (hit DEL while POSTing, that's before Windows boots), and then see if there's a "PC Health" section of the BIOS, with temps and voltages. Write down what they show, after a few minutes, if it will stay stable that long.

I'm wondering about: 1) PSU failure, or 2) overheating.

Another possibility is RAM failure, or mobo failure, but those are further down the line on the diagnostic checklist.

Edit: Then again, this could be purely a software issue, which means that you might need to re-install Windows.

Depending on your version of Windows, you might be able to boot into Safe Mode, which might eliminate driver issues as the cause, if Safe Mode will stay stable for hours.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Since it has the "smiley face" on the blue screen (OP description), it has to be either Win8/8.1 or Win10.

I'm also wondering if it has a hard disk as the system age-wise would be at about the point where it might be expected to die.