My complaint against Case Designers

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
In my other first-timer thread, the first writers also issued complaints about the lack of inventive choices for smaller cases.

Case height has traditionally been Height Of Power-Supply Plus Height Of Motherboard. The LianLi A05 has an interesting alternative - shoving the power-supply up to the case's 'chin', beneath the limited drive-cage, giving the entire 'height' based on the motherboard's dimensions.

The Cube Cases are generally wrong (APEVIA, to name names!) because they load the motherboard onto the bottom 'deck' - and that always has the most access issues. Users need to plug in, pull out, tug, pull, push - the Cube Case Makers need to ALWAYS put the motherboard on top. Put the drives and power-supply onto the bottom area. Those can slide in and out using a single direction.

But Case Height can also be shortened by making the vertical cases wider. Make the cases 2 inches wider, and offset the drive cages 'above' the motherboard tray. That gives easy access to SATA and all other motherbaord connectors, and allows drives to be slid in and out without cable-connection interference.

I find the Small Case dimensions incredibly unimaginative, and all too similar. 14-15" height, 15-16" depth, 6-7" width. I think that covers about 99% of small towers. Why not 13 inch height, 17x9 inch depth-width to give plenty of distance between MB connectors and Drives. Make working on cases EASY!

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
Dude, enough already! It's only a box! Stop your case bitching and just build your own of you're truly that miffed with the offerings!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I don't find case height a problem at all, and usually users who want a small build don't mind using mini-ITX cases and motherboards

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Part of the problem is that a case has to be multi-use and you have to jam into this case a hard drive and a DVD Drive. Then everyone decides they want a Video card that is 14 inches long or some such. Of course now comes the evil power supply. Then someone thought up the idea that they want a CPU Cooler the size of a car engine. To get all of these you pay a price. The price is a big box vertically tall that takes up less desk space or a box that is cube-like that takes up even more desk space because it is wide.

Maybe we need to redisign Motherboards and video cards. They dont have to be at 90 degree angles but then the big cooler is in the way also. This is the Delemna???

I was thinking of a design where you have only one X16 PCIE and below that put a couple of Min-PCIE or a MSATA for an SSD. You could also use a design where you put a cutout on the motherboard tray and have back access for RAM and MSATA/wireless card.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We really need to get rid of the DVD drives they are just too bulky. Put games and sofware on flash drives. I blame this on the digital rights anti-piracy groups.

AustinInDallas

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2012
www.amitelerad.com
I got about 75% done making my own case, then I had to move, and I havent touched it since. It was mini silverstone fortress 2 without the DVD drive. Just taking out that one obstacle really removes a lot of room

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
We really need to get rid of the DVD drives they are just too bulky. Put games and sofware on flash drives. I blame this on the digital rights anti-piracy groups.

I know flash drive is faster but what is the difference between flash drive and dvd for anti piracy?

@buffalochuck: If you have a garage or spare room why not get some tools and metal and make your own case?

Last edited:

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the specific replies that deal so much with the issues. Whiny trolls DO keep these threads at the top!

As for fabbing out my own for our thousand customers or so, yeah, a garage and a sheet metal press would really do that, eh? ha ha... nice imagination.

And for getting rid of Opticals, I still prefer having my own media for my own entertainment on my own schedule. And in my own location. I really don't want to be stuck in a DRM'd urban-blight jungle that demands the highest bandwidth at all times for MY entertainment. But I'm always happy to read more evidence of the lack of imagination that gamers display. "Since me and mah gamuhs don't use it, it's never any use!" Over and over... and over... and over.

There are places near you so you can keep buying new diapers for yourselves. Thanks for keeping the thread up high.

BuffaloChuck

Mar 12, 2013
klein, I think your closed mind is obviously enough for everyone. But like you do on other posts, you're like a dog going down fences, "I gotta pee on another post!!" Stink it up, yes. That IS your contribution.

But thanks again for attempting to distract folks from the various points. You're not doing very well at that.