My co-worker flipped about me doing overtime

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I told him I came in on the weekend for a bit and he freaked out totally, because when we're done with this project (in 8 weeks) he's out of a job (me too).

I figure that the hours are being done no matter what, if he wants to come in and work (time & 1/2) then he can, I figure I might as well since I have time that I can put to use here. It's not like I'm out to get him or something :/

AND, obviously I'm not going to be working 40 hours * 8 weeks, I have vacation (unpaid) and off days planned, so it's not like the hours I'm doing now aren't going to be filled in in the future.
Plus, we might get the project extended to be another 12 weeks after that 8 weeks but we'll see about that.

Am I a total jerk for working OT? My boss doesn't care, she just wants the project DONE.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
He's a selfish bastard, he refuses to work OT, but gets angry when you do? Tell him to STFU!

Aug 23, 2000
when he flipped out, did he show his real ultimate power and kill everyone in the town, yet you managed to escape to post??

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
F him, if the person you're accountable to is ok with it, rock on.
I agree.

Although... If you're both going to be out a job when it's done, why bother trying to get it done fast?

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
when he flipped out, did he show his real ultimate power and kill everyone in the town, yet you managed to escape to post??

yep

I'm going to talk to my boss about this when she gets back from off-site work, I think he's kind of a jerk for doing this.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
I'd put in overtime specifically to get time and a half if I was going to be out of a job when my project ended. The hell with waiting.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Keego
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

yep

I'm going to talk to my boss about this when she gets back from off-site work, I think he's kind of a jerk for doing this.

i agree......i think his "logical" brain is shut down or something...

shurato

Platinum Member
Sep 24, 2000
Does your project not have a specific end date? If you finish it sooner does it mean your out of a job quicker? If so then maybe you should talk to your other teammembers...your all in the same boat, out of a job by the time the project is done. Maybe you all can get a group consensus...perhaps others will think finishing the project up quicker and getting some OT pay might be a good idea too. I can see how some people can get a little angry, but I dont think the guy should be flipping out if indeed he is.

However, if you can do overtime and the project will end at the date that is stated...the guy is a little nuts.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Better to have your last job done on time or early than late.

And if you can get paid extra to do it, why not?

J1600B

Nov 15, 2002
Yeah screw that guy. Deep. If you do a good job and do it fast, you could get great recommendations for other jobs or even another opportunity at that company. Unless that superknob is going to pay your bills then maybe listen to what he has to say...