My CD ROM is gone, how do I get it back?

vinson

Apr 2, 2000
I installed Nero and when I next checked my CD-RW no longer shows up under explorer. I've uninstalled Nero but its still gone. New hardware searches don't find it. Any ideas on how to get it back?

jcmkk

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
If you have windows XP, then it is a common problem. I don't remember off the top of my head how to fix it, but do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

kulki

Jul 18, 2001
when u boot ur computer, it should detect the cd rom at that stage itself. DOes it detect ? If not then check ur connections pnce more

LeaDxPainT

Jun 6, 2001
If windows can't find it, chances are your bios couldn't find it. Just go to your BIOS setup and automaticaly detect your cd-rom drive, and if that doesn't work just manualy find it. If that doesn't work, make sure the wires are all plugged in and working.

Rhombuss

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2000
Not sure about Nero, but I know with Adaptec EasyCD Creator 4, it would right 'false' strings to your registry that disabled the CD-ROM. I can't find the url for the fix right now - but search at www.microsoft.com for a registry fix for problems with easycd creator 4. That's how I found it a few months ago. Hope this helps!

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
suggest you delete the upper & lower filters in the registry as detailed in this article.
if you want to use nero, suggest you use the latest version as this happening was a known problem with an earlier release of nero with XP!