my car wont start

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL, and this monday it couldn't start. On tuesday, I tried jumping it and it woudln't start. On wednesday, I replaced the battery with a new one, and it started one time, then after i turned it off, it woudln't start up again. I've searched online and have found a bunch of various off-the-wall solutions for people with similar problems. However, none of them have worked for me.

Here are the symptoms, it would be amazing if someone has experienced this problem before and knows what to fix:

keyfob doesnt work, but I can use the power locks from inside.
Once key is turned to the ignition position, a very faint whirring noise is heard from behind me. YES, behind me. There is nothing back there as far as I know except for a trunk and back seats, but the whirring comes from behind or maybe at most sideways. It's definately not coming from the front. Other than that sound, there is nothing else. No lights on the dash, no engine turning over, no click of the ignition, nothing.

If I then release the key to the run position, all the dash lights turn on as if the car has been started. The fuel and heat gages go to about the middle position and the tach and speedometer shoot up to read full (they hit the little piece of plastic that prevents them from going any further). After the initial few seconds, most the dash lights turn off but the TRAC OFF, check engine and a few other lights stay on. If I put the key in the ACC position, the electronics all work.

I think that's all I know about it, so if anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know. The car was running fine, no problems on Sunday, and it just wouldn't start on Monday morning.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
The whirring noise you hear from the back is the fuel pump in the gas tank. I'm guessing you have a starter relay/solenoid problem.

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
I don't know much about cars, so is there a way I can check if the starter relay or solenoid is the problem? I really don't want to tow it to the dealer or a shop if the solution is very simple to do at home.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Try having a friend hold the key in the ignition position while you tap lightly on the starter with a wrench or something. If it fires up, you have a bad starter. They sometimes get "bad spots" in the windings, and when the starter motor happens to come to rest in the bad area, your car won't start. Hence an intermittent no-start condition.

That's something free to try...if it works, at least you know what the problem is.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
the noise behind you is the fuel pump.

you have a check engine light. you need a scan tool.

Check engine light is always on when the key is on but engine is not running.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Black88GTA

TRAC OFF indicates a wheel sensor problem usually... although i doubt that's causing all this mess... sounds like more electrical. viewing some class 2 data might provide some insight.

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005

I don't think anything is wrong with the engine. It has been running strong and would not have suddenly died like that. The problem is that the engine is not starting, I'll try the tip about tapping the starter with a wrench tomorrow...it's too dark to see today.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: unfalliblekrutch

I don't think anything is wrong with the engine. It has been running strong and would not have suddenly died like that. The problem is that the engine is not starting, I'll try the tip about tapping the starter with a wrench tomorrow...it's too dark to see today.

'check engine' light (left side) indicates a fault code stored in one of the computers in the car. 'service engine soon' (right side) means a certain subset of codes tied to the body control module.

it doesn't actually mean 'check the engine is still there'.