My car was just broken into

PhoKing

Aug 8, 2000
Fother Muckers!!! Four cars including mine were broken into last night. Of all the nice cars at my apartment complex, the @$$holes decide to break into mine. This guy's Mercedes was broken into but that's expected, but HELL!!! I had a stock '96 Integra with nothing valuable showing. They did go into my trunk and steal some PIAA fog lamps a buddy gave me, which I haven't gotten to install and now never will. D@mn@tion! Mindless cops won't do sh!t about it and neither will the apartment complex. It's their fault the gate is always left open.

Has anyone had this happen to you? What can I do about it? How did your insurance company deal with it? Need info.

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
that sux. :(

there's a reason why integra's are on the top of thieves list.
but man...

that sux.

97 gs-r driver.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
My car was broken into two weeks ago. They just grabbed the radio and left. Who the heck still steals CD players? They didn't touch the 10-20 CD cases laying in the back seat, and didn't touch anything in the glove or trunk. They ended up doing three cars that night.

At least they did a clean job. Only one minor scratch on the dash, and they left the wiring harness and power laying neatly where the radio should have been.

Thing that sucked about that, was I had to replace a window for $120. I wouldn't have cared too much except that I was/am in the process of buying a new car so for the last two weeks, I've been out $120 and no radio. I should have the new car in a few days.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Damn punks...I just had some kids rip everything off my car they could without breakin in to it. They did it in broad daylight, so a buddy of mine saw it happening. He game me a call, and we tracked them down about an hour later. Scared the living sh!% out of em, too. I even filed a police report, so they go chased by the cops later that day.

Got my stuff back, thanks to the threat of a nice softball bat and a pry bar. Now, I have Clifford Alarms watching out for the next round...;)

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
I had the factory tape deck stolen from my 93 Explorer last year. They smashed the window and tore apart the entire dashboard to get a $10 piece of junk. I've had many fantasies about catching them doing it while carrying my Remington 12 gauge. I'd have killed them very, very slowly.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jaeger66
I had the factory tape deck stolen from my 93 Explorer last year. They smashed the window and tore apart the entire dashboard to get a $10 piece of junk. I've had many fantasies about catching them doing it while carrying my Remington 12 gauge. I'd have killed them very, very slowly.

Isn't the war on drugs great? It makes people so desperate for money they steal stuff that isn't worth more than $10 because that $10 will buy them a hit.

PhoKing

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks guys. Can someone give me something to work with? I don't want the insurance company ripping me off. Plus I wanna know if I can replace the gift and other stuff in my trunk.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Sorry to hear that.

Way back I had my VW GTI broken into in front of my friend's house when I had only gone inside for 15 mins. Those punk kids only stole less than a $1 worth of change from the ashtray. But it cost me over $100 to get the damn window replaced.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: PhoKing
Thanks guys. Can someone give me something to work with? I don't want the insurance company ripping me off. Plus I wanna know if I can replace the gift and other stuff in my trunk.

Probably not. The insurance company WILL rip you off. They're in business to make money, not help people. Talk to the other people who got their cars broken into, and sue your landlord for leaving the gate open. This may sound a bit sue-happy, but if it is their responsibility to make sure it's closed, then they are liable for whatever damage occurs because of their negligence. Before you do this however, read your lease very carefully; there is probably an escape clause should this very thing happen. If there is and you signed it, you're SOL.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
PhoKing -

I have my deductables at $500 so I went ahead and paid out of pocket to fix the window. I happen to see a cop on the way out and spoke to him for a minute. He gave me the number to report the incident since I was on my way to work and didn't have time to do it there. He told me about the other 2 cars since he was there to write up one of them. Since I didn't have the seriel number on the radio, there wasn't any real point of calling them. So, I let it be. I went after work to my local watering hole and played some Golden Tee and drank a few brews. Then, I drove home without a radio and without air conditioning.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

no offense but how do you kill someone slowly with a 12 guage? shoot off there foot? :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: bob970

no offense but how do you kill someone slowly with a 12 guage? shoot off there foot? :)
Beat them gently to death with it :D

PhoKing

Aug 8, 2000
Well, if what you say is true vadatajs, then I'm screwed. Damned insurance companies. I've been having trouble finding a decent job here in Austin so the money factor is grim. And I'm sure there is a clause in my lease as well as most other leases nowadays.

By the way, what's SOL?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
SOL - Sh.. out of Luck.

If you have homeowners or rental insurance, that is what covers stuff in your car. Your auto insurance is most likely only to cover the actual vehicle and not contents. Meaning, if you got 100 discs and a bag of clubs ripped off, then you'd collect off your renters insurance. Some car insurance places will replace a radio or radio gear, but some don't, especially if it was installed after factory or in a different location.