My car insurance went up $170 a month.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I'd be the first to say 'oh no, not another insurance thread'...but this is just so baffling and shady, I figured I'd share.

Before anyone says 'whoa, $170 a month for insurance? That's insane!'

...yeah, no...it increased by $170. Went from $800 for six months to $1900 for six months. No notice. They were just going to bill me over $300 next month.

This is a 4cyl non-turbo MT Mazda 3. Bottom rung full coverage, no 'Cadillac plan' here.

PSA: Don't use Geico. I think I'm switching to State Farm to keep the same rate...quotes 850ish. Esurance wants a grand. Progressive wants a grand. I don't quite see how car insurance is not 'price fixing' or otherwise some kind of oligopoly. The rates between companies are nearly identical...where is this money I'm supposed to be saving, insurance commercials?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
How many people did you kill with your car in the last 6 months? :p

But seriously, I've never had an issue with huge rate increases regardless of the company. Ironically we currently have Geico.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
How many people did you kill with your car in the last 6 months? :p

A lot, one would think. I had an at-fault accident with a $1700 bill. Apparently they hold a hell of a grudge.

In 2/2011, some woman hit my [2011] Versa and totaled it. That made my coverage go up, like, 50-100 bucks per six months. Makes all kinds of sense.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You are an expensive risk for them.

You are expected to help cover some of the extra costs that a same driver does not cause them to occur.

If youi are not at fault and they DO NOT pay anything at the end; it should not affect your rates.

When the fault is questionable and/or the company has to foot out money because of you; they look closer.
Once may be bad luck

More than that; you are creating your own luck and they do not like being exposed to that luck.

Then look at your driving record and credit report.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
You are an expensive risk for them.

You are expected to help cover some of the extra costs that a same driver does not cause them to occur.

If youi are not at fault and they DO NOT pay anything at the end; it should not affect your rates.

When the fault is questionable and/or the company has to foot out money because of you; they look closer.
Once may be bad luck

More than that; you are creating your own luck and they do not like being exposed to that luck.

I understand that. But that's still an absurd rate.

Got a Nationwide quote for 750. Everything else has been 800-1000. 1900? Gimme a break.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I understand that. But that's still an absurd rate.

Got a Nationwide quote for 750. Everything else has been 800-1000. 1900? Gimme a break.

If you are telling them no accidents to get those quotes, be prepared. Otherwise, if you show risk with them, they will raise your rates later as well.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
If you are telling them no accidents to get those quotes, be prepared. Otherwise, if you show risk with them, they will raise your rates later as well.

Nopers. Although I did test this to confirm my suspicions...it doesn't matter. Allstate is the only one who flat-out listed what they came back with. Still asked me to transcribe the info they themselves were feeding me, for some reason.

But all the others just ask you...yet the quote doesn't change. List nothing...$1000. List everything...$1000. They obviously are retrieving the info themselves and basically ignoring what you tell them.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Nopers. Although I did test this to confirm my suspicions...it doesn't matter. Allstate is the only one who flat-out listed what they came back with. Still asked me to transcribe the info they themselves were feeding me, for some reason.

But all the others just ask you...yet the quote doesn't change. List nothing...$1000. List everything...$1000. They obviously are retrieving the info themselves and basically ignoring what you tell them.

Actually put in the papers for a policy and see how much that changes.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You can expect a 20-50% deviation for a company based on how they weigh the risks that you are presenting to them.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
so did you cause a tremendous accident or something?

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Yea we were with eSurance but switched to geico when all state bought esurance. Then geico tried to raise our rates and esurance was the cheapest again.

So call at 4-5 insurance companies at least once a year.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Get a wife, have a few children, buy a house, pay off your car, then add yourself to a family plan of somebody with the qualification I listed. Profit.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Mine went up $24 this round yet never been involved in an accident in my 20 years of driving. It's about time to get around to changing.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I don't think paying off the car affects rates in the slightest. I'm not even sure getting married really made a big difference. Can't comment on the house factor yet.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Hate insurance companies. Have never had a good thing to say about any of them.
Find the lowest possible rate and just go there. As soon as you make a claim even on comprehensive they jack your deductible or raise your rates. Move on to another... They drive me insane!!

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Man, I thought it was bad when AAA raised my rate for full coverage from $450 every 6 months to $600, when I got a single 5 over speeding ticket. And my car's worth more than a brand new Mazda 3, so your rates seem really high.

I thought Michigan was one of the highest states for insurance costs, what state are you in?

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
1. Call your insurance and ask why.

2. Request DMV for driving records of all drivers on your policy, check for any irregularities. Also, check your credit report.

3. Shop around.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
1900 for 6 months! My god that is insane. I have never had my insurance increase for a comprehensive claim, and I have had several in the last 40 years. I pay about 400 for full coverage 250 deductible for a 2012 Tacoma Prerunner, about the same for a 2010 Highlander.

How many tickets you have on record and how old are you?

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I'm 27. I think one ticket over three years ago but less than five.

I looked at their breakdown- collision is now almost $1000 instead of...like 300. Rest of increase is spread out amongst the other stuff, I guess. If I raise my deductible from $500 to $1000, they'll graciously give me like a <$100 break. LOL, go fuck yourselves, Geico.

edit: I can put my deductible higher than the amount of what they paid out for the accident that is apparently causing the rate hike. And my rates are still doubled.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
The payout amount is irrelevant, it's the fact you were involved in a claim and they had to pay. Based on risk, it's likely to happen again so you pay more based on that expectation.