My car hates me. Also, it has been vandalized. (now w/ pic of car)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crimzon

Nov 6, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
Since I have two related topics, I thought I'd just one thread.

First the vandalism: My car was parked for a couple months waiting for the new motor. When I went to bring it out and tow it to the garage where we'd be installing the motor last weekend, I noticed that someone had pried the "5.0" emblems off the fenders. What an asshole. A cheap asshole too, as those things only cost about $10 brand new.
At least he didn't scratch the paint, so I canclean off the old glue and the car should look alright.

Why my car hates me (AKA: Why my car doesn't run):
Well, last weekend we were putting the new motor in the car. We were mostly done, when we found out the flywheel was messed up. So, this weekend we went to finish the car. We got the flywheel done, the tranny on the car, and realyl the whole car was done. We were about 10 minutes from starting the car, all that was left was to fill the radiator, and connect the battery.
So, we start filling the radiator, and water starts dripping from the bottom of the water pump.

Ugh, crap. We end up removing the water pump, and buying a new one. This required removing the AC and power steering pumps, and a bracket that holds them. We had the new water pump mounted on the car, and were tightening it down, and one of the water pump bolts broke off in the block. FVCK!
At that point, we got really pissed, and swore fora few minutes. After that, we had to remove the timing cover, which required removing the supercharger belt and tensioner pulley, the thermostat housing, and the crank puller and balancer.

We got the old bolt out, but now the project is waiting for me to buy a new timing cover gasket and water pump bolts. Ugh. Next saturday...

Well, obviously he's cheap if he's prying off the 5.0 to put on his 3.0.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Thats 3.8 or 2.3l ;).

Thinking about popping off my 5.0 things. The exhaust sound is enough to let people know its not the 4 banger and it looks cleaner without them.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: KGB
You really don't get it, do you?

Trust me.. I know the temptation of a 5.0 V8... kinda hard to pass up. But if you love something let it go, find a better one later on. Why are you so into THIS particular one?

Was you car an LX and then you modded to a 5.0? or it was stock? What motivates you? the 12 mpg highway mileage? Scaring old people as you zoom by with the dual mufflers? What is it?

Are you a mechanic? Then I wouldn't question your judgement.. if not.. well who knows :confused:

Wow, I'm not even a real gearhead and I understand what motivates him. You, my friend, have the intellect of a bullion cube.

Too bad notfred, better luck next week. There's nothing quite like the rumble and growl of a real engine that you can feel in your chest. :)

Need4Speed

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: KGB
dude... get a new car.. I don't want to agree with that wduanguy..or whatever his name is.. but get rid of that old ford and buy a real car. My god who in their right mind would spend so much time/money on a 5.0?

If you still want to be a ford fanboy get a Lincoln MarkVIII 97-98.. 4.6 power but awsome car... man.. and I thought my GMobile was bad..

You really don't get it, do you?

Apparently not. I personally think your car is punishing you for calling it a "motor". Boats have motors, remote control cars have motors. Real cars, especially of the muscle variety, have engines :D

read a dictionary :p

generally speaking:

Engine: "A device that converts heat energy in a fuel into mechanical energy that can be used to [do] work..." (J. Webster. Small Engines-Operation and Service. Chicago: American Technical Publishers,1981)

Motor: "Technically it refers to an electric motor and should never be used when referring to the engine [of an automobile]" (A.L. ***. ***'s Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia. 6th edition. Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild & Stewart, 1918)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Need4Speed
Engine: "A device that converts heat energy in a fuel into mechanical energy that can be used to [do] work..." (J. Webster. Small Engines-Operation and Service. Chicago: American Technical Publishers,1981)

Motor: "Technically it refers to an electric motor and should never be used when referring to the engine [of an automobile]" (A.L. ***. ***'s Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia. 6th edition. Toronto: McClelland, Goodchild & Stewart, 1918)

You took definitions out of two different dictionaries, and your definition of "motor" is 85 years old.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Edit: [Here's a pic of the car in the garage where we're doing the work]http://www.fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=notfred&category=Engine_Building&file=DCP_1716.jpg[/l]

your linkify skills are lacking!

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: malbojah

That's my "driving in the hot sun for 4 hours with my arm hanging out the window" sunburn.

Except that it looks like you were the passenger in this instance

The picture was taken in a mirror. My skills at holding a camera 4 feet out in front of me and accurately framing my arm aren't very good.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001

That's my "driving in the hot sun for 4 hours with my arm hanging out the window" sunburn.

wow the sun burnt the hair off your arm!!

Hey the picture of your car on the lift,before i resized it,I thought it was like 20 foot off the ground!!

Hope you put gasket sealer on the stuff,second time around. :(

Thought of you when i saw a 1969 Shelby Yesterday at a car show,and a second one at another car show today.

I am lazy,so thats why i have a Camaro ;)

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
For the life of me, I have never figured out why people use a "sealer" on a gasket that is designed to seal. When RTV is added to a paper gasket, all you are doing is giving the gasket a place to move around thus making a leak where none should be. I use RTV to seal the intake to the block at the endrails and toss out the rubber or cork seals and I use it at the corners for the oil pan and that's it. It is even worse on newer gaskets made out of silicone like the gasket for notfreds oilpan gasket that is all one piece.

Good luck with your car notfred. hope ya get it running soon.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight77
For the life of me, I have never figured out why people use a "sealer" on a gasket that is designed to seal. When RTV is added to a paper gasket, all you are doing is giving the gasket a place to move around thus making a leak where none should be. I use RTV to seal the intake to the block at the endrails and toss out the rubber or cork seals and I use it at the corners for the oil pan and that's it.

i use permatex #2 for coolant sealing because it Works,it allows you to install a water pump,etc without the gasket falling off,and helps to seal against leaks too.
I have used this stuff,while working on my Own vehicles since 1976,and used it while working on my parents vehilces,helping my Dad,since i was a young person.

My dad was using #1 permatex,and i asked him,to try #2,as it was Non-hardining,and gave more time to get the gasket in place.We were putting a water pump on my dads car,and it was being a pain.LOL

Permatex® Form-A-Gasket® No. 2 Sealant
Reliable paste-like gasket sealant/dressing/coating. Form-A-Gasket #2 sets more slowly to a pliable film best suited for non-rigid, vibrating assemblies. Use to 400°F (204°C). Resistant to gasoline and other solvents. Conforms to MIL-S-45180 D.

Suggested Applications:
Coating cut gaskets to improve sealing and hold in place.

permatex # 2 from their web site.

edited beacuse i spell/type crappy, ;)

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
As an engine builder (have been for at least 10 years and before that a jet engine mechanic with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children,) I have seen what RTV can do. Even prior to buiding motors, we had borrowed a motor for a race car I helped on. The driver barely made 5 laps in practice before the oil light came on when the pressure hit zero. Took the car back to the shop and pulled the motor. Once yanked out and on the engine stand, drained the oil and pulled the pan to find the pick up screen coated in red RTV.

I have seen all sorts of gaskets leaking because of RTV being placed on it. Being a mechanic means fixing peoples cars right the first time and not having them bring them back for something stupid. Used by itself RTV is ok, but in moderation and not on a gasket that was designed to seal the stuff to begin with.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
As an engine builder (have been for at least 10 years and before that a jet engine mechanic with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children,) I have seen what RTV can do. Even prior to buiding motors, we had borrowed a motor for a race car I helped on. The driver barely made 5 laps in practice before the oil light came on when the pressure hit zero. Took the car back to the shop and pulled the motor. Once yanked out and on the engine stand, drained the oil and pulled the pan to find the pick up screen coated in red RTV.

I have seen all sorts of gaskets leaking because of RTV being placed on it. Being a mechanic means fixing peoples cars right the first time and not having them bring them back for something stupid. Used by itself RTV is ok, but in moderation and not on a gasket that was designed to seal the stuff to begin with.

yeah some people use rtv on stuff to Excess
i do not use rtv,except;as you had said,at the end of intake manifold,

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
We had the new water pump mounted on the car, and were tightening it down, and one of the water pump bolts broke off in the block. FVCK!

Nach fest, kommt ab. Loosely translated: After tightened, it's off...

did u use a torque wrench?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

It was probably because they didn't follow the directions correctly. You have to wait for it to vulcanize before you assemble things.

And you don't need to use very much. You want a minimum of "squishage", because it squishes out on the other side too. The silicon leaching out can be bad for your oil; it messes with the formulation.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

It was probably because they didn't follow the directions correctly. You have to wait for it to vulcanize before you assemble things.

And you don't need to use very much. You want a minimum of "squishage", because it squishes out on the other side too. The silicon leaching out can be bad for your oil; it messes with the formulation.

:cool:

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I saw a '89 LX 5.0 for $1500 the other day, had 111,000 miles on it

think it'd be worth checking out?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
I saw a '89 LX 5.0 for $1500 the other day, had 111,000 miles on it

think it'd be worth checking out?

Maybe, I wouldn't expect much for $1500, but the mileage is relatively low.