• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

My car alarm doesn't chirp all the time, but it still unlocks the doors... Reason for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
When I push my alarm button on the key fob, it chirps and then unlocks the doors.
But for the past few weeks, it chirps sometimes, doesn't chirp other times.
The alarm also doesn't sound either, alongside this. Only the lights flash (again, happens on and off).
It's not very consistent either. There's no pattern it follows.

Other than the fact that it's not working, should I be concerned?
Dying alternator/battery?

BTW, I have a sub/amp (~250 watts RMS) running whenever the car is on.
Does that decrease battery/alternator life?

75000 miles, 1995 Nissan Sentra auto - battery last changed 4 years, 40,000 miles ago.

TIA :D

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
i have no idea whatsoever.... but... battery might be it, i guess... aren't batteries supposed to be changed every 5 years or so? sounds like yours is about due...

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Hmmm... well, I don't change the battery until it dies on me (doesn't everyone?).
The rest of the electrical system seems fine.

I'm blasting my subs and there's no dimming of lights.
I would check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter if it weren't so darn cold out.

So what could it be?
Bad/loose connection?

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
it should chirp regardless of your battery conditions (even super weak). It sounds like you've enabled the silent mode. It's useful if you live in an apartment complex or if you're going to be working on your car (and you need to get in and out of the car). Just read the owners manual and find out to to re-enable the audible mode.

-=bmacd=-

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Well, it would help if I had the manual :p
The alarm came installed with the car when I bought it used w/out manual.

Anyway, you're not quite understanding me.
I know the valet mode that you are speaking of, but that's not the reason why it's not sounding.

The alarm is on regular mode (?) - it's activated all the time.
But it doesn't chirp (or sound when it's supposed to) all the time.
It only does it once in awhile at random times.
The lights will flicker, the doors will lock/unlock, but no noise will come out when it's supposed to.

If it's not low battery, then I'm leaning towards a bad connection :(

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
My car alarm does the same thing. Sometimes it chirps, sometimes it doesn't. The locking mechanism has never failed tho.

Andrew

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
my vote is still that you put it in silent mode. On my viper, i had a four button remote. To put it into silent, all i had to do was push button 1, then 2, and it'd be in silent mode. It happened every once in awhile by mistake, but it was the same procedure to set it back to audible.

-=bmacd=-

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
This happens to me quite frequently on my car. Not really your problem, but like when I arm my alarm it arms but then it'll go off for no reason. And I have no idea why this happens too.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
my vote is still that you put it in silent mode. On my viper, i had a four button remote. To put it into silent, all i had to do was push button 1, then 2, and it'd be in silent mode. It happened every once in awhile by mistake, but it was the same procedure to set it back to audible.

-=bmacd=-
Noooo!
I'm telling you, I KNOW it's not silent/valet mode :p
I know how to put it in valet mode and it's NOT in valet mode.

Apparently, a few others are experience the same thing.
I guess it's not a reason for concern then.

jasonhk

Sep 19, 2014
:awe:
Okay, about 6 months ago, my battery wouldn't crank enough to start in subzero temps. I had a good battery, just not good for this POS winter we just had. Anyway, the guy at Autozone insisted that it was okay to reconnect the terminals without the jelly. I disagreed, but it was COLD OUT..and he was installing my battery for free. Anyway, for the past 3 months or so, my chirp has been seriously weak. I don't lose power anywhere else, stereo, subs, etc. so I knew that something was up with the battery and that the 7 year battery is only 6 months old or so. I JUST NOW went outside and it seriously took me 20 minutes or so to get off the rusted bolt that was holding on the negative terminal. The terminal itself wasn't rusty, just the bolt. The actual terminal had a whitish film on it which I filed away. I replaced the rusted bolt, PUT ON JELLY( I only had bacitracin here at home, but it's jelly)...tightened it all up and got a LOUD chirp just as it's supposed to be and has been for the last 7 years--as long as I've owned the car. So there you have it...something as simple as a bolt and a thin film on the battery terminal stopping you from getting a 100% jolt of juice. This wasn't something that was going to make my car not start next week or next month, but it wasn't done right and a rusted part is a rusted part. Think of how much easier it'll be to get that thing off when it needs to be replaced. Think of how much better it's conducting and repelling moisture with the jelly. IT'S WHY THEY SELL BATTERIES WITH THE JELLY!!! Shortcuts lead to shortouts. Hahaha...I just made that up. Don't cut corners and check all your connections . I'm an ultra novice and that's the first time I ever checked under my own hood and guess what? I just fixed my problem. JUST DO IT!! :)
Jay^_^

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked the thread because the previous reply was over eleven years ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY