Question My build to my 13 year old son. Mainly 1440p gaming. 1500USD

jharm

Oct 22, 2022
Link to build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FctBW4

My son is turning 13 years old next February and I have promised him a gaming PC.

He is not yet looking at all the latest and greatest graphic wise, but that will probably come. So I have started with a relatively budget friendly GPU.

Since AMD has released the new ryzen 7600X I was thinking going that route due to longevity of the system. Then it would also bo DDR5.
I am a little concerned about case. I would assume it would be nice with several USB inputs including usb-c, but I see the prices will rise, so maybe a usb hub instead?

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Mainly gaming

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
1500USD

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Denmark

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
No preference

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
No

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No
8. What resolution
1440p

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
I plan to order and build February 2023.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
A lot can change by February. The planned build is good overall. I don't like the 3060 for 1440p, but if he is just playing esports and older AAA games it will be fine. It along with the CPU, ram, and board, could all see price cuts by then too. In this case waiting could save some money.

The 4000D is a nice case, and you picked a board with the USB-C header for the front panel.

I like that you are considering platform longevity too. You can upgrade the CPU and GPU down the road and see him through high school on that build.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

jharm

Oct 22, 2022
Thanks for the replies! I am hoping some price cuts too, but we will see. Down the road I think the first major upgrade would be the graphics card, especially if he start to get into VR.

Regarding fans, then you suggest to buy either the 120mm or 140mm fan set and then place three in front, pulling air in and two in top to take air out?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The fans depend on the overall setup. I added the two sizes for quick reference. I have 3 front / 2 top / 1 exhaust / 2 on my cooler.

Front is usually an intake. Top can be either depending on which direction your cooler fans point. Mine go out the back which makes the tops intake as well.

I run a 12700k and it stays at room temp in this configuration and under load might hit 50-55c. The nice thing about the fans though as they're usually silent. Also, they daisy chain together for easier profile management in zones.

Reactions: jharm

jharm

Oct 22, 2022
That's gonna need a potent GPU. You need at least 90+ fps in VR titles to not get motion sickness and have everything feel "real". I would suggest to upgrade the PSU to a 1000W minimum.

1000W. That is a lot of power. I don't understand that is needed. If he one day get a new graphic card that might consume around 300W. CPU is around 100W. Then there is still quite a lot left from 750.

Jul 27, 2020
1000W. That is a lot of power. I don't understand that is needed. If he one day get a new graphic card that might consume around 300W. CPU is around 100W. Then there is still quite a lot left from 750.
Depends on the VR title. For simple ones with cartoonish graphics, a 300W GPU might be enough to push 90 FPS easily. For graphically realistic VR titles, you may want a Geforce 3090 or a 4080 (whenever that is released). Those are best served with a 1000W PSU.

jharm

Oct 22, 2022
Some of the new cards actually pull up to 600W and of course they think more power makes for modern performance.

The extra $50 now for power saves you later if there's an upgrade. Most of the newer power supplies coming out are 1200/1600W.
That’s good reasoning. I will look into that when I update the list end of January. Thanks for all the comments.