My bonehead moment of the day

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Had a user on the line who needed help installing Flash player. I VNC'd in and got to work, then noticed she had some other IE windows open. I told her to save and close whatever she was doing in IE. She said she didn't have any windows open.

After a bit more talking and looking around I realized I had remoted into another user's computer. That other user at that point was on the phone with one of my colleagues asking why someone had gotten into her PC, opened Google and searched for Adobe Flash Player!

I disconnected, finished with the first user, and called the second one to apologize. Thank goodness that a)she isn't a VIP, and b)she laughed about it.

How'd I do it? We use Remedy for ticketing, and when we enter a user's ID we can pull up a list of their assets. The caller's new laptop was listed, but I remoted into her old one which still had her name on it (I missed the RETIRED status on it). Guess the old one was issued to another user. When I saw the other user's name on Lotus Notes, I got outta dodge.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Happens here too, although we put in the correct machine number and it connects to a random wrong one. Very rare, but annoying. Crazy thing is that people need to accept the connection and they click yes on it anyways.

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
I was hoping for an "I accidentally typed "format c: then hit Y" story. Oh well, I see no harm in what you did.

We use NetworkStreaming btw, its not bad. Getting the end-user to goto our website is a pita though.