My Bank CHARGED ME for someone else's BAD CHECK!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
My housemate wrote me a bad check once and I had to pay a $5 fee because it bounced.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
This happened to my parents a lot in their restaurant and is the reason why they do not accept checks. What pissed me off was the customers who felt insulted when we told them we don't accept checks. I don't think they understand that the banks charged us for any bad checks from customers -- so not only did we end up giving free food to the customer, we also had to pay the bank for that privalege.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well by "record" it's not credit report, just an internal bank record.

If you all hate first star wtf is up with banks in the US? In canada there are a few major banks and they WORK and they work well. I'm currently a member at compass bank - a pretty major bank - and it sucks so many balls at once. For one thing their website has only worked about 90% of the time since I became a member 7 months ago. At royal bank in canada using their online banking for years I had one problem once and had to recheck later. It's a constant recurring thing with Compass. My friend at amsouth says his online banking sucks goat nuts too. That's because there are about 5 million banks in the US. They all suck equally bad.

BlueApple

Banned
Jul 5, 2001

<< I consider myself somewhat levelheaded and like to think that I've got a good head on my shoulders...but I almost LOST IT when I got THIS BS in the mail today!

My bank, FirstSUCKYstar, sent ME the bad check and informed me that I would be charged the $8.00 for the bad check!!!!

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!!!!!! :(:disgust::D:|
>>

Yes, banks do this. Welcome to earth. :D

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I had a similar situation once where my bank withdrew $200 from my account via a check written by another guy with my name. I insisted I had not written the check, the bank said "Oh you just forgot you did." I was a starving student at the time and would never had forgotten such a large check.

Here's what you do: Go to the branch, get the manager. Make them pull a copy of the check (they should be able to do this), compare this to your checks....point out the differing address, name, etc. This should be plenty to get them to correct things.

Fausto