Question my Android phone did something sketchy when I visited a site that should have been safe...

Turbonium

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2003
I recently visited a site for a local business. I searched it through Google, too. I won't name the site or business here.

Upon loading it, I got a weird load screen, and then what I thought was just another captcha:

1000000192.png

1000000191.png

Now I'm not proud of this, but I absent-mindedly hit Allow since it's a valid site (or should be) and I thought it was actual captcha (yeah...). Very absent-minded, and I was tired.

Going forward, every few minutes I'd get a notification on my phone with your usual bullshit "your phone is at risk click here" nonsense. I never clicked, obviously.

I cleared my Chrome cache and history (I think?) and it seems to have fixed things. However, I'm paranoid. What else can I do? Play Protect finds nothing. My phone system was updated when it all happened.

Oh, also, should I contact Google about my finding a compromised site? They are literally directing people to it, people that would fall for this totally.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
LOL Google is one of the most consumer unfriendly mega corps out there; unless you personally know a security researcher who works for them, don't bother.

Mobile apps are sandboxed, so it's unlikely that your device was pwned. This should be mentally filed under the "only run computing devices with supported OS/software fully updated," which a lot of normal people aren't even aware of or simply don't care. Sounds like you're updated, so you're fine. If you're truly paranoid, then you can factory reset your device just to feel better.