Discussion My AM5 build - 7950X3D with Nvidia 4090

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Part Selection:
Parts arriving:

image18.jpeg

image17.jpeg

At this point I am just missing the AM5 adapter for the AIO, but have ordered from 2 locations to try and get (vendor and eBay.) Also the fans I ordered won't arrive until next week. These two components missing have put the build at a stand still.

I removed the stock bottom case fan and installed a Noctua NF-A14 PWM.

image1.jpeg

I have temporary removed the riser card to allow installation of the motherboard.

image3.jpeg

I have removed the built in motherboard heat sink for the top most m2 slot to install the gen 5 ssd.

image4.jpeg

Heat sink replaced.

image5.jpeg

Cpu installation.

image8.jpeg

Motherboard installed into case.

image9.jpeg

Starting to route power.

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

Last edited:

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
AM5 should be 100% compatible with AM4. Are you sure you need it ????
I believe I do based on: Will NZXT Provide an AM5 bracket?

I was not able to understand this well, but I believe its the screws and not the bracket itself that needs changed: NZXT Z73 AIO AM5 Bracket für Ryzen 7 CPU erhalten, Check & Einbau!

10 minutes in it talks about the bracket not needing changed. Earlier the screws are measured.

Are you upgrading from your i7-4770K? I upgraded from an i7-4790K to R9 5950X almost two years ago. Looking forward to your finished build. Thanks for sharing!
Yes I am using the 4770k currently. This will replace it.

Reactions: bigboxes

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I believe I do based on: Will NZXT Provide an AM5 bracket?

I was not able to understand this well, but I believe its the screws and not the bracket itself that needs changed: NZXT Z73 AIO AM5 Bracket für Ryzen 7 CPU erhalten, Check & Einbau!

10 minutes in it talks about the bracket not needing changed. Earlier the screws are measured.

Yes I am using the 4770k currently. This will replace it.
Based on what I read, I would at least TRY it and see. If the screws are a little short, maybe you can get new ones at a hardware store ?

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Based on what I read, I would at least TRY it and see. If the screws are a little short, maybe you can get new ones at a hardware store ?
Well it’s already on its way and the other issue is the 120 mm fan I am going to use to replace the rear exhaust is a very tight fit to the 360 top mounted aio so it needs to be installed before the radiator and Amazon says it won’t get here until Thursday 😕

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
7B842FBA-1D3B-48DC-A101-BB5F84C542F3.jpeg
It just dawned on me to actually open it and look. I guess they have updated the contents in the months AM5 has been out. It came with the adapter. I might try to install it after work.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Got the front panel, audio ect wired up

image15.jpeg

RAM installed

image12.jpeg

Fans attached to radiatior

image10.jpeg

Its a tight fit!

image9.jpeg

Based on videos I had seen I was worried if my RAM would clear the radiator, but it does!

image8.jpeg

The AM5 bracket was easy ton install and that side fan I was worried about fitting fits just fine. Due to me not understanding the complicated wiring for this AIO I probably had to take the radiator off 3 times to add more wires and that poor side fan was off and on almost a dozen times.

image4.jpeg

Riser card is installed

image3.jpeg

Getting card in

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

It survived the smoke test

image0.jpeg

Stuff remaining

• The side and rear fans will be replaced when they arrive
  • Attach top and side panels after fan wiring is finalized

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I got the fans I was waiting on

image8.jpeg

image7.jpeg

I had to take the GPU and riser card out again to attach all the fan wires.

image6.jpeg

The two pack came with a 3 port controller so that is perfect

image5.jpeg

Trying to organize the rats nest

image4.jpeg

Got it back together

image3.jpeg

Sides are all on for first time and ready to peel off the film

image2.jpeg

It works!

image1.jpeg

desk shot

image0.jpeg

image0.gif

CodeBeholder

Jan 18, 2023
Nice build! Kinda wish I'd gone with the AORUS Gen5 NVME myself, curious what you think of them.

With as extreme as the rest of the build is, is there a reason you're not going 64GB DDR5? I've heard that AM5 has memory issues ATM?

I'm still waiting on the new Lian-Li O11D Evo XL case before I put my system together, but I'll make sure to post a build log here once it arrives!!

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Nice build! Kinda wish I'd gone with the AORUS Gen5 NVME myself, curious what you think of them.

With as extreme as the rest of the build is, is there a reason you're not going 64GB DDR5? I've heard that AM5 has memory issues ATM?

I'm still waiting on the new Lian-Li O11D Evo XL case before I put my system together, but I'll make sure to post a build log here once it arrives!!
As far as the SSD goes, its nice I guess, but I've already used up half its space for some games and random downloads so it may not age well. Also when it gets time to do basic tasks like unzipping installers or what not you kind of think when its slowly happening is this really all I get? I did not go with 64 GB because i was only concerned with speed/timings and I did not think I had a use case for more at this time.
Very nice aquarium. why the corsair ram over other brands if you don't mind me asking you?
I just liked the way it looked and I was able to get the speed and timings I wanted.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Don't be me and forget to update your sig! I have the same MB as you, and hopefully yours is as good.
That's a major faux pas. How long did it take you to figure out you hadn't updated it. It took me a day to get things where I was ok with updating the sig.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I am borrowing a RX580 from BestBuy. I asked the sales guy if I could return an open box within a couple of weeks if my card was able to be repaired and he said no problem. The card is junk honestly. It will only let you do HDR if you disable the 2nd monitor. I only got it because I needed 2 monitors for work to get me by until the 4090 comes home. I had to pay $75 to ship it back to Gigabyte to have it insured for its value which sucks. I really hope they do me right. I will never go with them again. This is the 2nd time one of their updates has killed my 4090.

IMG_0568(1).jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
So the card shipped back with firmware 1.0 installed on the new LCD panel and 1.4 was still available. I finally worked up the courage to run the update tonight and it actually worked and the lcd panel is updated and working. :)

capture.png

Reactions: igor_kavinski