My 8800GT 512MB listed as having 2266MB?

Burpy

Oct 16, 2005
I'm on Vista Home Premium (New to Vista). I noticed that in DirectX Diagnostic Tool it has my eVGA 8800GT 512MB having a total of 2266MB memory. Am I reading this wrong or is this normal?

- DirectX Diagnostic Tool Pic

I checked GPU-Z & NVidia control panel and both have it listed as 512MB. I have the latest DirectX installed (November Release).

Oct 4, 2004
Does this have something to do with Vista's virtualized memory? The computer sees your VRAM and RAM as the same thing (or something like that)?

Someone that knows better please elaborate.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Burpy
I'm on Vista Home Premium (New to Vista). I noticed that in DirectX Diagnostic Tool it has my eVGA 8800GT 512MB having a total of 2266MB memory. Am I reading this wrong or is this normal?

- DirectX Diagnostic Tool Pic

I checked GPU-Z & NVidia control panel and both have it listed as 512MB. I have the latest DirectX installed (November Release).

I noticed this too...

I didn't pay any attetion to it since my games run perfectly

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Yep I'd say its definitely WDDM's virtual mirror of the video card's VRAM. My GTX shows 2778 which is exactly the 256 (difference between GT and GTX RAM) x 2 more than what you guys are showing. GPU-Z is probably just an incorrect pointer and will probably be fixed in an update since I only get actual VRAM showing there.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
vista automatically allocates part of your ram as shared graphics/system memory, basically it is the infamous 'turbocache' feature that was introduced with the geforce 6200 but instead of nvidia's driver controlling it, vista controls it. it is for when you run out of vram, and textures and whatnot will be temporarily stored in the system ram; like a pagefile in a way. it is also similar to integrated graphics, with it using system ram, but in this case it uses the system ram in addition to your vram when needed.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
There is a hotfix for this somewhere out there that will reduce the amount of RAM the GPU takes.