My 6950 acts like an iGPU

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
As above. I reinstalled Windows cause I had some problems with the way the GPU was working originally, but now that I've done it I can't get it to work properly at all anymore. I've installed the drivers and done everything else I should have, but it's still that jerky, low res weirdness that you get when you first boot into Windows. I can't play games, video playback is a joke. Aero is impossible to do, and even moving windows around sometimes it'll freeze and crash to blue screen.

I'm afraid that my GPU is probably circling the drain and I'll have to get a new one, thoughts?

CRCSUX

Dec 10, 2012
In the past ive had cards do that, they were on the way out.
Id take ya card out and check for bulging/busted caps.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Clocks were at default 6950 clocks. It used to be at 6970 clocks but I had to dial it back a bit a few months ago cause of instability.

I think that might have been an early sign that the card was starting to fail. A "stable" overclock suddenly needing more voltage or having to be dialed back in clocks to regain stability has typically, at least for me, been early signs of impending failure of the card/component itself.