My 5 year old just got sent to the Dean's office for saying "I'll kill you"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Atomicus
At least he didn't say he'll "fvck him up". He'd be called in for sexual harrassment? :confused:

yea, imagine the kid hearing mommy say that to daddy while they are both in their bedroom........

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
DURRR, he said something that could easily be construed as threatening to another student, stfu and teach your kid not to say retarded things.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You should have blamed it on him watching Full Metal Jacket every day before bed :p

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: fisher
maybe you should tell your wife to watch what she says around your 5 year old?

Well we haven't had a post from SunnyD saying his kid says "I'll suck your c0ck for a thousand dollars" So the wife is at least holding back there. ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
My first impression was that your kid is nuts, and good to have him at the office, and then I remember hearing, and making that same threat on more than on occassion as a kid, with absolutely zero intent to follow through with it, so unless your kid is a very young delinquent I can see that they overreacted on it. I bet a lot of teachers have heard this before.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: fisher
maybe you should tell your wife to watch what she says around your 5 year old?

Well we haven't had a post from SunnyD saying his kid says "I'll suck your c0ck for a three fitty" So the wife is at least holding back there. ;)

Fixed

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar
you as a parent are an educator, your job is to teach him right from wrong

When your child is in school it is up to the teachers to reaffirm right and wrong. They are not just babysitters, making sure nobody hurts themselves while Mommy and Daddy aren't there. They need to bear some responsibility in this as well.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: FlyLice
Home schooling = kid has no social skills

Not necessarily... there are pleanty of rec. sports leagues and other activities they kid can be enrolled in to learn social skills.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Homeschooling is an absolutely awful idea. Everyone I know that was homeschooled has a serious lack of social development, and just in general has less interaction with other people, thus less friends. Terrible.

mdchesne

Banned
Feb 27, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD
My wife got a phone call a bit ago - I guess my son, in kindergarten, at 5 years old, just got sent to the Dean's office for "threatening to kill a classmate".

The context of the whole thing was rather unclear, but after some questioning, it turns out that my son does not even know what that figure of speech means. He just said it because he heard it before, apparently from mommy.

Now seriously, kindergarten, 5 year old... why the hell was this not handled in the classroom by the teacher? Especially if the context was playing (which at this point the whole context is still uncertain).

It's like the educators are more worried about Columbine, abuse allegations, and mental health than they are actually educating in both intelligence and social behavior.

a group of five year olds gunning down the school with ak-47s twice the size they are. like mini me starring in scarface. lol.

Home schooling is beginning to look more attractive every day now.

Updated note - YES!!! Mommy and I do not condone such language, we do know that! For god's sake, we are not trying to raise the next famous serial killer! The point that I am trying to make is that shouldn't this have been something that could have easily been taken care of in the classroom by the teacher instead of overreacting and playing the Columbine card?!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Home schooling does look attractive. Look into it, for everyone's sake.

Yeah, you are pretty much guaranteed that your kid will grow up knowing less than you do.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FlyLice
Home schooling = kid has no social skills
I used to say that. It's a real concern, but apparently most home schooled kids do not have social problems, because they spend a sufficient amount of time in extra curricular activities elsewhere.

So many more people are home schooling that it's easier than ever to do it. Tons of material is available to help them along, and direction offered to parents/home schoolers. I suspect the biggest thing against it is lazy parents, and more often than that most parents can't do it. I can't really imagine that we'll ever have the opportunity to home school our kids, unless one of us stops working, and I think the money afforded with two incomes more than makes up for it (a portion of which could easily go into quality private schooling. For us it goes without saying that we'll have our kids in a private school or a high quality and well respected public school [of which there are few!]).

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
If someone jokingly said that to your kid and then the next day he brought his dad's gun to school and killed him, you'd be complaining to the school that they didn't do enough, and the kid shouldn't have even been allowed in class etc...

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Indolent
If someone jokingly said that to your kid and then the next day he brought his dad's gun to school and killed him, you'd be complaining to the school that they didn't do enough, and the kid shouldn't have even been allowed in class etc...

Exactly. They cannot take that chance, however small.

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
My town in March of '98. Heard of the Westside shootings? Kids that threaten other kids lives tend to raise eyebrows these days. A ex-coworker and friend of mine lost his daughter in that shooting. Ask him if he thinks this is just a idle threat

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
PC is out of control!!!

Pretty soon we won't be able to say anything to anybody without a happy-happy, Joy-Joy tone. :|

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Geez, kids cartoons used to use toned down versions of "I'll kill him" - "Ooooh, I'll murdulize him!!!" Looney Tunes featured Elmer Fudd using a shotgun point blank on the star characters. The Three Stooges featured constant acts of physical violence and assault. And it was funny as hell. :D

But see, parents also should make it clear that it's just TV. When someone is hit on the head with a TV, it's not a good thing - unless it happens to Moe, and he just shakes his head and slaps the offending character and bonks his head good. Then it's funny.

Homeschooling is an absolutely awful idea. Everyone I know that was homeschooled has a serious lack of social development, and just in general has less interaction with other people, thus less friends. Terrible.
Oh yeah? Well I went to public school, and I have all those attributes! So there!
Hey, waaaiiiit a minute....

Private school maybe? I've developed a healthy distaste for government, because it's like having a monopolistic organization in charge of progress. What motivation is there to progress, and make sure everything's done right, when you know that next year, you're just going to get more funding to do the same, or maybe even less, work?

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
DURRR, he said something that could easily be construed as threatening to another student, stfu and teach your kid not to say retarded things.

You're an idiot. Try remembering that you were a child once who said a lot of stupid things. We all did. Until you can remember that you will remain an idiot.