My 27” Asus MG279Q Review (25 games tested at 5K)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Introduction
My Dell P2714H has been a solid workhorse 1080/60 panel for 3 years and it still works perfectly fine. I decided to pick up an Asus MG279Q 1440/144 as an upgrade. Both are 27" IPS displays.

Usage
The first big difference is increased desktop real-estate. For example, instead of having two MS Word pages side-by size, I can now have three. Also I no longer need to scroll sideways for any of my C++ code in Visual Studio.

The other big difference is the complete removal of visible screen tearing with vsync off when gaming at 144Hz. In my opinion *sync is not needed on high refresh rate displays.

I was pleasantly surprised to see upscaled 1080p looks much better than expected. This resolution is useful for older DX6/DX7 games (e.g. No One Lives Forever, Undying) which get a bit cranky if either dimension is more than 2048.

Other differences such as increased sharpness and smoother window dragging / mouse movement were also noticeable, but not earth-shattering.

Benchmarks
The tests were designed to show the most demanding sections of their respective single player campaigns. Since 5K benchmarks are virtually non-existent, I included those too. 4K and 5K resolutions used DSR.

I used driver FXAA to keep things consistent. I’ve also found FXAA works well in high DPI situations and it’s also extremely fast, exactly what’s needed at high resolutions.

System
4790K, GTX1070 (388.71 driver), 16GB DDR3L-1600, Asus Z97-K, 960GB Crucial M500, Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W, Corsair 400C, Win7-64 (Feb 2018 rollup).

Results
Benchmarks.png

Analysis
5K has more than seven times the pixels of 1080p, yet overall performance is reduced to “only” 24%. Modern hardware clearly does a good job at bypassing the expected performance hit.

#6 is a new game only a few months old using the modern Unreal 4 engine. It’s interesting to note it takes the biggest hit from resolution increases.

Old games continue to be useful at testing high resolutions. In particular, #8 and #13 are 15 years old.

Conclusion
1440/144 is a noticeable upgrade over 1080/60 at 27". Unfortunately I have to return the Asus panel due to quality issues, but I’ll be looking at a similar display in the near future.[/spoiler]

Last edited:

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
I've been using the same monitor for ~2 years now and I love it. A good quality 1440p/IPS/144Hz display is glorious for gaming, web surfing, watching movies and etc. Its 4 ms isn't the best but it's pretty good for a IPS panel. Coming from a rather cheap 1080p/60Hz/TN monitor I remember having quite a few "wow" moments especially considering the colours. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with backlight bleeding etc.
I've been running it on my lowly R9 380 since I bought it but eventhough I cant often run the highest quality settings in (newer)games the picture still looks great because of the characteristics of the monitor.

The only downside I'd like to point out is the freesync range which is 35-90Hz- that means if you want to use freesync, the refresh rate has to be set at 90 (its still 50% more than 60Hz :) ). Although via a modification the freesync range can be brought up to 57-144Hz.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm confused because you keep saying 5K but then reference a 1440p / 144hz monitor... Are you just producing that image then resizing?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Just ordered a 1440p/144hz monitor today, looking forward to it. Can't say ive seen anyone who's gotten one and been disappointed (specific panel/monitor issues notwithstanding)

Reactions: rchunter

pj-

May 5, 2015
As a long time plasma and now oled tv owner, IPS glow on "good" pc monitors makes me want to barf.

I hope 4k, hdr, high refresh monitors with good local dimming come soon.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I game a lot on my 3840x2160 display, and even moving up to a 4096x2304 display lowers performance noticeably.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How well does this panel scale lower resolutions? I do 1080p from my Hackintosh with Intel graphics; I don't think it would run 5K natively.

Edit - durr, read all the words. Thanks for the review!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
How well does this panel scale lower resolutions? I do 1080p from my Hackintosh with Intel graphics; I don't think it would run 5K natively.

Edit - durr, read all the words. Thanks for the review!

1920x1080 on both of my 3840x2160 monitors looks quite blurry compared to my native 1080p monitor.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I got a full refund on the Asus and I decided to try an AOC TN 144Hz instead.

Seriously, don't ever buy a TN panel!!!

They're garbage and I can't understand how anyone can stand them. Even directly straight on you basically have a small circle in the middle of the screen that looks fine, but everything outside has visible color shifting. Simply moving your eyes over the screen is like experiencing constant motion blur. Looking at the floor of an FPS causes the roof textures to color shift, and vice-versa.

You can't calibrate this problem away. I see a lot of comments online "modern TN panels are pretty good" and "viewing angles don't matter because nobody looks at the monitor from the side", but these are both absolute nonsense. Going back to my old Dell restored the beautiful consistent image and rich colors I was used to.

So I'm back to square one with no new monitor, but I definitely want to get a 2560x1440 upgrade at some stage.

Reactions: Lordhumungus

Feld

Aug 6, 2015
I'd recommend trying the Nixeus EDG 27. It has pretty strong specs. 2560x1440, IPS, Freesync over a full 30-144 Hz. The only possible drawbacks are no HDR and the bezel is pretty thick - but the bezel serves a purpose of cutting down backlight bleed, so unless you're intending a multiple monitor gaming setup it's really not an issue. I have this monitor and it works great.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
How can you set resolution higher than 2k on this monitor when it is only 2k?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have this monitor as well and love it. I only have a 290x so I've not bothered with hacking the freesync refresh limitation yet. Generally I top out at 80-95fps on stuff with full settings.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I got a full refund on the Asus and I decided to try an AOC TN 144Hz instead.

Seriously, don't ever buy a TN panel!!!

They're garbage and I can't understand how anyone can stand them. Even directly straight on you basically have a small circle in the middle of the screen that looks fine, but everything outside has visible color shifting. Simply moving your eyes over the screen is like experiencing constant motion blur. Looking at the floor of an FPS causes the roof textures to color shift, and vice-versa.

That must be one crappy TN panel you bought. I recommend Iiyama for TN panels and I don't get any of those issues.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, not every TN panel is like that at all. Not true. I just bought a dell 2417DG, 144hz 1440p TN. Colors are pretty decent, its got a little bit of a yellowish hue, but the viewing angles are perfectly fine. You get shift if you stand sideways from the monitor, but there is zero color or gamma shift when you're seated in front of it in normal desk usage.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I have this monitor as well and love it. I only have a 290x so I've not bothered with hacking the freesync refresh limitation yet. Generally I top out at 80-95fps on stuff with full settings.

Hmm, you don't need to hack anything, you click right mouse button on the screen, press Screen resolution and go to advanced settings then monitor and choose refresh rate you like.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Hmm, you don't need to hack anything, you click right mouse button on the screen, press Screen resolution and go to advanced settings then monitor and choose refresh rate you like.

For freesync? My understanding was it had a special driver to get past the 30-95hz limitations. (not to change the refresh to 144hz).

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
The only thing I can offer on the TN panel discussion is that a number of years ago as a favor I temporarily traded my Dell 2405 to my brother-in-law for some random Samsung monitor so he could have a triple monitor setup (it was hard to find the Dell in good shape and he already had 2) and it was easily the worst visual experience of my computing life.

EVERY-SINGLE-TIME I even shifted slightly in my chair in any direction I got all kinds of weird rainbow effects and stuff that made me want to throw the damn thing out the window. I was so happy to be rid of that piece of garbage.

Sep 5, 2016
Introduction
My Dell P2714H has been a solid workhorse 1080/60 panel for 3 years and it still works perfectly fine. I decided to pick up an Asus MG279Q 1440/144 as an upgrade. Both are 27" IPS displays.

Usage
The first big difference is increased desktop real-estate. For example, instead of having two MS Word pages side-by size, I can now have three. Also I no longer need to scroll sideways for any of my C++ code in Visual Studio.

The other big difference is the complete removal of visible screen tearing with vsync off when gaming at 144Hz. In my opinion *sync is not needed on high refresh rate displays.

I was pleasantly surprised to see upscaled 1080p looks much better than expected. This resolution is useful for older DX6/DX7 games (e.g. No One Lives Forever, Undying) which get a bit cranky if either dimension is more than 2048.

Other differences such as increased sharpness and smoother window dragging / mouse movement were also noticeable, but not earth-shattering.

Benchmarks
The tests were designed to show the most demanding sections of their respective single player campaigns. Since 5K benchmarks are virtually non-existent, I included those too.

I used driver FXAA to keep things consistent. I’ve also found FXAA works well in high DPI situations and it’s also extremely fast, exactly what’s needed at high resolutions.

System
4790K, GTX1070 (388.71 driver), 16GB DDR3L-1600, Asus Z97-K, 960GB Crucial M500, Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W, Corsair 400C, Win7-64 (Feb 2018 rollup).

Results
Benchmarks.png

Analysis
5K has more than seven times the pixels of 1080p, yet overall performance is reduced to “only” 24%. Modern hardware clearly does a good job at bypassing the expected performance hit.

#6 is a new game only a few months old using the modern Unreal 4 engine. It’s interesting to note it takes the biggest hit from resolution increases.

Old games continue to be useful at testing high resolutions. In particular, #8 and #13 are 15 years old.

Conclusion
1440/144 is a noticeable upgrade over 1080/60 at 27". Unfortunately I have to return the Asus panel due to quality issues, but I’ll be looking at a similar display in the near future.

i have 3 5k screens and i play in 5k (real) i don t understand the purpose of this thread.
i can play most games in 5k without problems

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
BFG10K, what is DSR elaborate please.

Nevermind, it is called Virtual Super Resolution in AMD and it is enabled for me already. I can only change it to 4k, funny that i haven't seen this before.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
EVERY-SINGLE-TIME I even shifted slightly in my chair in any direction I got all kinds of weird rainbow effects and stuff that made me want to throw the damn thing out the window. I was so happy to be rid of that piece of garbage.
That's pretty much my experience, except I didn't even need to move my head. With my head still & dead-center, simply moving my eyes to the edges/corners produced yellowing/browning/blackening.

TN panels are incapable of producing consistent colors across their entire surface. They're garbage, suitable only for small cell-phone screens with smudging fat fingers.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I have a TN screen at home that produces consistent colors across the whole surface. If you've never seen a TN screen that can do that, you haven't been looking very hard. It only gets color shift when you move decently off angle.

Reactions: ZGR