My 26 days experience with Dreamhost

bacon333

Mar 12, 2003
This is strictly my experience with Dreamhost for the past 26 days. Take it for what you want.

I had an account setup on the June 20th.

On the 22nd our server went down for 15-30 mins this is their response:
"I apologize - there were some networking issues but this is not something
that should occur again. If you have any recurring problems please feel
free to contact me directly with details and I'll be happy to help out"

All is good until a few days later when there was a huge slow down (only 2 ppl are working on the site). Sent in a request and never heard from them.

On June 30th the site went down again for about 30 mins, this is what they said:
"Thank you for contacting DreamHost. After reviewing the account, it
appears that the site
has been restored. We apologize for any
incovenience you may have encountered."

Keep in mind they only give the reason why the servers go down when I ask.

All was well until July 14th, the databases went down for an hour. This was their response:
"Ok The 3 databases that you have on your site bkuo, dev, prod are now up
and running. Let us know if you have any further questions that we can
help you with."

Then when I asked why:
"The apaches that run your databases seemed to have crashed. restarting
them fixed the issue, I see that your databases are still up so Im sure
the apaches can handle your databases just fine."

On July 15th, server went down again, this time much more serious:
"One of our fileservers is having some serious problems, and is causing several of our shared hosting servers to become unresponsive. We?re working to swap out the filer now and get everything back online.

We think we have the problem narrowed down now and fixed. The fileserver has been running a consistency check on the volume for about the last hour now, and should be done in about 30 more minutes. Once this is done we can get service restored!

It looks like the file system check wasn?t as finished as I thought it was. It will be several more hours until it finishes. We?re very sorry about the downtime, we are working as fast as we can. "

We were finally getting a good flow of traffic and loyal readers until this happened. The servers are still down as I speak. Needless to say, we're switching hosts as soon as it comes back up. Dreamhost has been a nightmare for us. Judge for yourself.

UPDATE:
Alright the site went back up after about 14 hours of down time. After 3 hours of being up, it was shut down again and it's been down since then.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Don't feel too bad. The host that I have been with for two years decided to go down the tubes in the past month. So far this month I have noticed (this doesn't include downtime during the night that I don't notice) over 20 hours of downtime.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Don't you guys hate it that the '99.9% uptime GUARANTEE' isn't a guarantee at all? I asked one of the server goons what I'd get when they couldn't get to 99.9%, and he said it's just a gimmick :(. Someone should make a host that gives you something when they don't give you what you're paying for.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: bacon333
anyone heard of lunarpages.com?
We use LunarPages, they are okay. Infrequent, usually short outages. Lately the outages have been with their entire domain, lunarpages.com and everything.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
I have been with idologic.com for 2.5 years now and am very happy with the service and support.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Crucial
I have been with idologic.com for 2.5 years now and am very happy with the service and support.

Same. Rossman recommended Idologic to me and I've been VERY happy with them ever since.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

Same. Rossman recommended Idologic to me and I've been VERY happy with them ever since.

the site talks about not overselling on the side, but in the description of packages, it says:

Overselling Enabled

:confused: what does that mean?

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

the site talks about not overselling on the side, but in the description of packages, it says:

Overselling Enabled

:confused: what does that mean?

They don't oversell, but they give you (as the reseller) the ability to oversell. Basically you can allocate as much bandwidth and disk space as you want to your sub-accounts, as long as the total amount used by all of your accounts does not exceed the limits of your reseller account.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Haven't had any problems with Dreamhost what so ever. Been with them for almost a year now :thumbsup:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i've had a really good experience with Addaction.net. I run a site and have three URLs registered with them. They are pretty good with support requests and will credit your account if you catch your site down (has only happened twice, for brief periods, in about three years).

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Was anyone part of the downfall of deafening-urge.net ? I was so pissed after things just stopped working. grrrr

I'm at quickpacket.net now. Pretty good. They allowed me to host 2 php based trackers until they upgraded the MySQL version and that killed them both via the register_globals function.

Drat.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
I work right next door to them (actually know a few of the people there). Would you like me to knock on their doors and beat some asses?

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: bacon333
Originally posted by: ivol07
After my Dreamhost account expired I went with Netfirms. So far so good. And it's another $10 for a year special.

how long have you been with them?

Been with Netfirms for about 2 months now. Hasn't gone down once and the site seems fairly fast. So far I'm liking it.

If you want you can compare the speed for yourself. I have my Elantra Site on Netfirms and my Sonata Site on Dreamhost.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
been using http://www.hostgator.com for going on 2 years now. hardly any down time, and great customer support during the rare times they do go down. I use them for a few business sites

somewhat "pricey" but I feel it's worth it.