My 2001 Honda Civic failed the CA smog check... UPDATE: Need a cat-converter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_hscorpio

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2004
Kinda off-topic but I read in the newspaper the other day that cat-converters are popular targets for theft these days because the platinum inside them is worth more than the actual cat sells for. Thieves will drive around parking lots and cut them out in a matter of minutes and Hondas are one of the more popular cars for some reason.

Mike2002

Jan 11, 2004
I was looking around online and it looks like the catalytic converter runs about $300. Not sure how competitive that is but its what they are going for online.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: hscorpio
Kinda off-topic but I read in the newspaper the other day that cat-converters are popular targets for theft these days because the platinum inside them is worth more than the actual cat sells for. Thieves will drive around parking lots and cut them out in a matter of minutes and Hondas are one of the more popular cars for some reason.

Interesting info.

If I buy a new one and it's stolen, I will seriously punch somebody. :|:p

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Get to know some friends at the local junk yard, ask them to keep an eye out for a good cat on a bad car, acquire said cat, pay local mechanic minimally to install said cat,... profits.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Mike2002
I was looking around online and it looks like the catalytic converter runs about $300. Not sure how competitive that is but its what they are going for online.

Do you know if that's the price for a new factor part, or an aftermarket one?

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Get to know some friends at the local junk yard, ask them to keep an eye out for a good cat on a bad car, acquire said cat, pay local mechanic minimally to install said cat,... profits.

I asked a few of the places if they'd install one that I purchased myself online, and all of them said no. :( They'll only put in their own (with their markup, of course!).

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MrsBugi
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
A few months ago I had a new catalytic converter and flex joint installed on my '93 Corolla. It cost about $500 total. Guy didn't charge the usual full retail markup on parts so that saved me over $100. IIRC the cat was under $200. Don't have my receipt here at work to check...

That's an awesome price! I guess I just have to keep price checking. Apparently I need spark plugs too (platinum?), which are an extra $100 or so.

Sorry, but spark plugs at $100 sound like such a ripoff.

see here Unless they're going to change the wires and everything, but its still too expensive.

And why did it take so long for someone to correct the horrible premium fuel advice? I'm just guessing, but I don't think MrsBugi drives an SI, so burning fuel that requires higher compression is just goign to leave more unburned crap to hit the sensors.

EDIT: Where are you located anyway, Bugi? Maybe someone can recommend a better repair shop.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
A few months ago I had a new catalytic converter and flex joint installed on my '93 Corolla. It cost about $500 total. Guy didn't charge the usual full retail markup on parts so that saved me over $100. IIRC the cat was under $200. Don't have my receipt here at work to check...

That's an awesome price! I guess I just have to keep price checking. Apparently I need spark plugs too (platinum?), which are an extra $100 or so.

spark plugs cost $15 for that car at autozone.

Mike2002

Jan 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Mike2002

Do you know if that's the price for a new factor part, or an aftermarket one?

Here's the link I found: Catalytic Converter They look to be new factory ones but I'm not too sure about that.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: OS
wait if your cat is bad shouldn't you atleast have a check engine light

No, the O2 sensor is positioned in front of the converter, unless her car has two which I doubt. The cat for that car runs around $300, so if someone gave you an $800 estimate they are FOS. I wouldn't change anything else until the converter is replaced and you pass emissions. If you're short cash just fix what you need to get fixed, you sure as hell don't need platinum plugs to pass emissions. Garages will try to add as much stuff as they can to milk you for every dime, just tell them no.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Thanks for all the feedback, research, and info, everyone! You guys are the greatest. :) I just got off the phone with my friend Jason, who recommended "the only mechanic in Los Angeles" that he trusts. I called his mechanic up, and the very kind gentleman said that he'd do everything (catalytic converter, spark plugs, and labor) for $400! :D I'll be bringing my car into his shop on Thursday. That's a 50% discount from what I was originally quoted, and I'm going to go in before he changes his mind about it. :p

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: SSSnail

I asked a few of the places if they'd install one that I purchased myself online, and all of them said no. :( They'll only put in their own (with their markup, of course!).

The replacement of a cat is not terribly technically challenged, anyone with some mechanical tinkering can do it. Don't take it to a shop, I'm sure there are mechanics that work out of their garage that will do this for you cheaply.

From what I know (which is not much), the 1998-2002 models has to comply to the ODB2 standards, and even Honda changed it in the their newer models. What I was told is that the cats used in these vehicle don't have after market replacements, therefore they're expensive. You'll be surprised to find cats on newer models much less expensive than the ones in that year range.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Thorny

No, the O2 sensor is positioned in front of the converter, unless her car has two which I doubt. The cat for that car runs around $300, so if someone gave you an $800 estimate they are FOS. I wouldn't change anything else until the converter is replaced and you pass emissions. If you're short cash just fix what you need to get fixed, you sure as hell don't need platinum plugs to pass emissions. Garages will try to add as much stuff as they can to milk you for every dime, just tell them no.

in fact the car does have two if you look at my diagram linked.

also the car comes stock with platinum plugs

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
if they actually replace the whole cat/header assembly for $800 that's a fair price considering the retail cost on the part is $720.

But if your guy was even remotely mechanically inclined, it'd be pretty easy to replace, the cat is in the front of the engine bay, you don't even need to jack up the car to replace it.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Thorny

in fact the car does have two if you look at my diagram linked.

also the car comes stock with platinum plugs

Guess I should've checked first, anywho that opens up another can of worms. If her cat is indeed bad then the rear O2 sensor should be catching it. The rear is generally used ONLY for diagnostic purposes (mainly tripping the SES light) so it's possible it doesn't need to be replaced, but it indicates another failure in the emissions check. IIRC if the smog tester figures that out it's an automatic fail, so by all means don't mention anything about it.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Ok, way late with the reply, but check CO2 on the report. It should be around 15% or higher. If it's lower than that, then the mechanic didn't give the car a chance to warm up and the test is no good.

Or better yet, grab all the readings if you can :)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Just as a note, catalytic converters are covered by a federally mandated 8 year 80000 mile warranty.
If the cat-con is bad it should be replaced for free.

I wasn't aware of this - excellent info, thank you CrackRabbit. :thumbsup: Does this still apply if I initially purchased it as a salvage vehicle?

I dont know if anyone has answered this or not, didnt feel like reading any further, but just dont tell them.

Show up with what the mechanic has written stating its a bad cat, they will write it up, trow on a new one under warranty, you keep mouth shut and smile, get the work done and drive away.

On another note I highly doubt it is your cat that is bad, most likly just in need of a tune up, and what others have said about keeping it running while in line, giving it a little gas now and then, put in a new air filter if you haven done so already, and make sure to beat the snot out of it before showing up, and dont run high octane fuel in it as well.

The price they quoted you is insane, should be able to get a universal cat at any local muffler shop for around $100-$150 (if you need to do it yourself, and plugs are $2 a pop and about 30 minutes time. So I wouldnt have them do it if by chance the dealership wont be putting in a cat for you. But first I would change the plugs, the air filter, 87 octane fuel, and retest it before doing the cat.