Must have metro / windows 8 apps?

Mar 15, 2003
Just got my first touch based windows 8 laptop (mostly osx household) and want to show off to the mrs :) What are some good apps out there? The stores a bit of a mess honestly.

sathyan

Sep 18, 2000
Agreed the store is a mess.
These are some metro apps I like:
News - magazine-style news app
Travel
MediaMonkey - I like this better than XBOX Music for playing media off my NAS/local
Weather
Evernote
Microsoft OneNote MX
Fresh Paint would be fun on a touch device
Google Search - it is more than search, really a gateway to many Google web properties
NextGen Reader - replacement for Google Reader

Many of the usual mobile touch apps are there: Engadget, Allrecipes, Vevo, comixology, skype, twitter, audible, netflix, hulu plus, mlb.tv, angry birds, espn, kindle, nook, tunein radio, Lastpass, Skype, Photoshop express, Dropbox, Skydrive, Rhapsody, CNN, WSJ, USA today, Discovery channel, Crackle, Wikipedia

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
For games, Skulls of the Shogun was worth the purchase as I got it half off. I can't complain about Solitaire... other than the lack of multiplayer. :p

Netflix, OneNote, Weather, Mail, and NBC News cover apps. I also have Cocktail Flow just because of how beautiful I think it is.

Speaking of beauty, that's one place where the Store fails at times. Many developers/designers don't know how to work with the design language just yet and many apps suffer, such as MediaMonkey. There are a lot of good looking apps on the Store but the uglier ones are very ugly.

Store still needs a good BBC app and a decent editor (with syntax highlighting, comments, sftp, and a preview browser for HTML/CSS - though maybe I'm asking too much).

Edit:
No preview or sftp but has highlighting. As Store gets better prospects of Surface 2 / Surface Pro 2 purchase increase...

Last edited: