Muslim woman sues to wear veil for drivers license picture: What do you think?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
If she wins...I'm going in with a bag over my head when I renew mine later this year.

It's part of my cult....er...religion

Same here, but replace "bag" with "Clinton mask."

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
my first license pic when I was 16, they actually let me take it with my hat on. I passed my permit test and then took a pic and then realized after I had the hat on. kinda funny cuz I wore my hat down with a very curved brim so you could barely see my eyes :)

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
A driver's license is a priveledge, not a right. It is her choice to obtain one, and if she so chooses she must abide by the terms laid out for everyone else who chooses to get one. What if your religion said you couldn't pay taxes? How would that go over? This is ludicrous.

lol. good comparison, and completely analogous. it's the cost of living in this country, just as the license is the cost of driving.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Why the hell did they allow her to keep her face covered and issue her a drivers license in the first place back in 2001? Thats ridiculous.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
And good luck to her getting into a bar.

No wait...guess her religious beliefs preclude that from happening.  ;)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
"Freeman claims her religious beliefs require her to keep her head and face covered out of modesty and that her faith prohibits her face from being photographed."

This is bullsh!t, nowhere in the qur'an does it say that women have to cover their heads.

Maybe she would like to try and get a drivers license in Saudi Arabia....would probably shoot her for trying to

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
The veil isn't religious... it's entirely cultural.

Interesting - I didn't know that. It's probably a guy under the veil for all we know.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
The veil isn't religious... it's entirely cultural.

I'm sure they will bring that into play for state's case.

She is just a con artist trying to manipulate the system.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Gunther
Well a driver's license is a priviledge not a right... so if she does not want to take a picture with her veil off then she should not have the priviledge to have a driver's license. A driver's license is a form of identification and how is anyone supposed to identify you when your drivers license picture is you with a veil on?

Edit: Damn you guys are too fast.

Sorry ma'am these eyes on this picture do not look like your set of eyes. Are you wearing contacts? Have you been using visine? Sorry miss but you are going to have to come down town...

Meanwhile at the jail cell she is placed in a line up along with others in a veil. She is positively id'ed and gets tried and convicted of murder due to the id and eyewitness testimony of some white chick in a veil knocking over a 7-11. she gets the gas 10 years later...

What have we learned today kiddos?
[All together]Take off the frcking veil

Why the hell did they allow her to keep her face covered and issue her a drivers license in the first place back in 2001? Thats ridiculous.
You are aware that this happened at the DMV aren't you

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
I can understand her religious stance, but as someone stated, driving is a privilege, not a right. You must have your face revealed not just for the officers protection, but also your own since it is used to identify you when using a CC!

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
Does it matter the photo has her with the veil? She is going to wear it all the time so when she has to show the license she might not be recognized without the veil on. The picture should match her appearance in public. I wear glasses and when I took my DMV picture they made me remove them, now anytime I show my ID I get "This doesn't look like you..." then they start questioning me. If she takes a photo without the veil, then continues to wear it and then gets pulled over the cop is going to ask her to remove the veil to confirm identity and thats another mess.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Zrom999
Does it matter the photo has her with the veil? She is going to wear it all the time so when she has to show the license she might not be recognized without the veil on. The picture should match her appearance in public. I wear glasses and when I took my DMV picture they made me remove them, now anytime I show my ID I get "This doesn't look like you..." then they start questioning me. If she takes a photo without the veil, then continues to wear it and then gets pulled over the cop is going to ask her to remove the veil to confirm identity and thats another mess.

Using your logic, if she wears the veil in the photo and gets pulled over, how does the police officer know the person on the driver's license is her?

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Aceshigh

Using your logic, if she wears the veil in the photo and gets pulled over, how does the police officer know the person on the driver's license is her?

Because she's wearing the veil, duh. ;-)

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
He has to go by the photo, veiled woman in photo, veiled woman in car... check move on to registration.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Take off the veil or don't drive.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You play by the rules, or you don't drive.

It's that simple.

Viper GTS

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It may be moronic, but not as bad as someone trying to sue the weather office for a wrongful weather prediction which they think hurt their business because people didn't visit. It turned out to be a sunny day, but was predicted wet, so people stayed at home.

His reasons for suing were purely greed, at least this woman has some religious basis for her actions, even though they are a little stupid as well. (the actions, not the religious beliefs)

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
they can state islam law all they want.
this is us law here baby!
driving is a privilege not a right, so in that case follow our rules or don't drive.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Take off the veil or don't drive.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You play by the rules, or you don't drive.

It's that simple.

Viper GTS

Damn straight!

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
He has to go by the photo, veiled woman in photo, veiled woman in car... check move on to registration.

Thats not only moronic, it's dangerous.