Muslim woman sues to wear veil for drivers license picture: What do you think?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Take off the veil or don't drive.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You play by the rules, or you don't drive.

It's that simple.

Viper GTS

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's idiotic... even in Muslim countries, they're required to show their faces for ID purposes. Not only this, but she has a felony charge... that has to do with FAKE ID!!!!

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002
I think this is the woman who got in trouble several times for using aliases and other identity related infractions (saw story on pbs last night). In which case, DUH!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
No Picture-No Liscense. Too simple for some??

Bet she will drive either way.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Read the article. What would the Qu'ran say about having a driver's license to begin with? I think this woman should stay on the safe side and use public transportation, just in case.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. You play by the rules, or you don't drive.

It's that simple.

Viper GTS
well said

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
A driver's license is a priveledge, not a right. It is her choice to obtain one, and if she so chooses she must abide by the terms laid out for everyone else who chooses to get one. What if your religion said you couldn't pay taxes? How would that go over? This is ludicrous.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: aswedc
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

It's that simple.

Viper GTS
well said

very well said.

Gunther

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2001
Well a driver's license is a priviledge not a right... so if she does not want to take a picture with her veil off then she should not have the priviledge to have a driver's license. A driver's license is a form of identification and how is anyone supposed to identify you when your drivers license picture is you with a veil on?

Edit: Damn you guys are too fast.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I'm sorry, but in this case public safety takes precedence over religious belief. You have a choice: Take your veil off for 2 minutes to be photographed, or take the bus. Geez.... :(

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well thats just retarded. I see muslim woman all the time in Toronto wearing a open face veil... some even have CK brand veils. ;)

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Well ... on one hand, I've had a drivers license without a photo. It's not uncommon if you are living out of state when your license comes up for renewal. But I think I was supposed to carry the expired license with phote also.

But in general ... bullshit. You want a license, show you face.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
A driver's license is certification that someone is able to drive a vehicle. It was not intended as a form of identification, even though it has become that.

As far as certifying her ability to drive a vehicle, it doesn't matter if it even has a picture on it.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I totally agree with her. I wanted to take my License photo with a black ski mask on but those bastards wouldn't let me. Then to make matters worse when they made me take it off, my hair was all messed up for my pic....I hate DMV.

Chiboy

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2002
Originally posted by: SSP
Well thats just retarded. I see muslim woman all the time in Toronto wearing a open face veil... some even have CK brand veils. ;)

Same here in Chicago. My school is filled with the CK brand veils hehe. Side note I hate them!!! I told my mommy when you pick my wife make sure shes not fat & make sure she doesnt wear a veil. As for the story take it off for a minute or take the bus.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
A driver's license is certification that someone is able to drive a vehicle. It was not intended as a form of identification, even though it has become that.

As far as certifying her ability to drive a vehicle, it doesn't matter if it even has a picture on it.

If that is your reasoning, Social Security cards should only be used to acquire Social Security instead of proving identification for a job or any other use.

If she wants to drive, she needs to take off the damn veil.

-silver

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

I would argue that it's part of the function of a drivers license to uniquely identify the person to whom it is issued ... hence the photo.
Beyond that, it has become the de facto standard identification card ... I think in most states the DMV even issues the photo ID cards for non-drivers.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
If she wins...I'm going in with a bag over my head when I renew mine later this year.

It's part of my cult....er...religion