Muslim Charity Leader Sentenced to Prison

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
According to the news story yahoo this guy was sending funds to support Islamic military groups in Bosnia and Chechnya. Wasn't there a genocide campaign going on against Muslims in these countries? It seems one mans savior is another mans terrorist.

You may as well bring charges up against the US government since we gave money DIRECTLY to Osama during the Afghan war. This is really getting out of hand, the US government is just looking for trophies to mount on the wall in the war against terrorism.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
You may as well bring charges up against the US government since we gave money DIRECTLY to Osama during the Afghan war.

You do, of course, have proof that the US government gave money "DIRECTLY" to bin laden, right? Not simply that we aided the mujahedeen in Afghanistan.

This is really getting out of hand, the US government is just looking for trophies to mount on the wall in the war against terrorism.

Out of hand?

A Muslim charity leader linked by prosecutors to Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s terrorist network was sentenced Monday to more than 11 years in federal prison for defrauding donors............... Arnaout (pronounced ARE-not) pleaded guilty to a racketeering charge, admitting that he diverted thousands of dollars from his Benevolence International Foundation to support Islamic military groups in Bosnia and Chechnya

Since when is defrauding charitable donors considered "out of hand"? He plead guilty, get over it.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: tydas
According to the news story yahoo this guy was sending funds to support Islamic military groups in Bosnia and Chechnya. Wasn't there a genocide campaign going on against Muslims in these countries? It seems one mans savior is another mans terrorist.

You may as well bring charges up against the US government since we gave money DIRECTLY to Osama during the Afghan war. This is really getting out of hand, the US government is just looking for trophies to mount on the wall in the war against terrorism.

Cold War, thing where much different. Look the policy of MAD, our goverment considered it.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I guess the year in solitary confinement had nothing to do with his plea...

"Beware, lest you become the thing you hate"

I expect people to respond with passion, but keep in mind that many innocents are suffering as the result of "the war on terrorism" Did Ollie North get 11 years for defrauding people?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Did Ollie North get 11 years for defrauding people?

No.....but he should have. OJ didn't go to prison either, should we just let out every other murderer because OJ got off? I love the logic, really, I do.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Your logic is amazing too, when did i say let all the murderers out of prison? OJ was aquitted thru our system, oliie north said, yep I did it and i'd do it again...

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Of course OJ was acquitted, that still has little actual relationship regarding his guilt. The error in your logic is that just because someone gets away scot free, or almost scot free, with criminal behavior, that doesn't absolve someone else of their guilt or the resultant penalty they owe society.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Your absolutely right, I'm just saddened that a possibly innocent person is being punished. And everyone is right, I don't know whether he is innocent or guilty. When i read the story I saw it a certain way. I'm also concerned about protecting the US from terrorism however, i don't see any of the actions that have been taken as increasing my security. Do I have the answer? No. However, the "kill em all, let god sort them out" routine will not work in this case.

Bunch of petty bureaucrats trying to make a name for himself or herself .