Musicians that impressed you nearly instantaneously and then made you a fanatic.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
No doubt ... when he died it hit me nearly as hard as John Lennon.

Stevie transcended music with the vibe at his shows.... not what I for one expected from the style of his tunes. His career was just beginning to really roll when he was taken.

Brings a tear to my eye even today. :confused_old:
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Mozart share some eerie parallels.

Both died at 35.
Both of their fathers died four years prior to their deaths and in their mid-60s.
Losing such ability and creativity always causes sadness. Franz Joseph Haydn(23 and some months older than Mozart) lamented the death of Mozart.

The last time that Haydn saw Mozart was right before Haydn left for London in December 1790, almost exactly a year before Mozart’s untimely death. According to Haydn’s biographer, to whom Haydn recounted the details of their final meeting some 15 years later, Mozart spent the whole of Haydn’s last day in Vienna. Here’s his rather breathlessly dramatic retelling of events:

[Mozart] dined with him, and said at the moment of parting, “We are probably saying our last farewell in this life.” Tears welled from the eyes of both. Haydn was deeply moved, for he applied Mozart’s words to himself, and the possibility never occurred to him that the thread of Mozart’s life could be cut off… within the following year.

When Mozart died at thirty-five, Haydn was distraught. Some time later, he wrote: “I was for some time quite beside myself over his death. I cannot believe that Providence should so quickly have called an irreplaceable man into the next world.”

Haydn eulogized Mozart, saying: “Posterity will not see such a talent again in 100 years.”

With the benefit of more than two centuries of hindsight, few would argue with Haydn’s assessment of his young friend’s remarkable talents.

Reactions: Captante

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You also bought guitars intead of pianos.
I have one of the new Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" J-200s on order too...been backordered since Dec 12th :mad: The Gibson model has been a dream of mine since I was about that age, but I could never afford $4500 for a guitar. The new Epiphone line is pretty damned close and under $900. So...still no pianos :D

1614139368080.png

Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have one of the new Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" J-200s on order too...been backordered since Dec 12th :mad: The Gibson model has been a dream of mine since I was about that age, but I could never afford $4500 for a guitar. The new Epiphone line is pretty damned close and under $900. So...still no pianos :D

View attachment 40200

Check your local classified, many piano are free as long as you pick them up.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I bet they spent the $50 on pot and built a bong out of the piano... :p
I figured the one kid that actually said he was going to learn to play spent it on beer and pizza for his buddies that helped move it, but also, why not both?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So glad you posted this. I go through periods where I do Video Game music almost exclusively for a while. It always starts with Chrono Trigger, then Metal Gear Solid, and goes from there.
With Mitsuda, if there's a mood you need, he knows how to make it. He's also very good at integrating numerous styles into his music. Peaceful Days is almost Mozart-like, but music like the Ocean Palace or something far more modern.

Chrono Cross was on point with its opening and ending songs. Time's Scar and Radical Dreamers really take you to another place. In addition, the mechanics of the game requires arranging music for the same location but in different worlds, which is a skill in itself, and he does it intuitively.

Part of the reason I'm "searching for music is a nutty idea of doing a playthrough with just 80s hits instead of the original soundtrack of Chrono Trigger. This is inspired by the realization that game was clearly influenced by Back to the Future. It is most evident in Lucca and Taban The Epoch also develops in a way similar to the DeLorean.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Their cover of 'Forty Six & 2' is awesome.

One of my favorites is Pull Me Under from Dream Theater. The kid on the drums plays the shit out of that double bass. Anyway I could talk all day about these kids. Theyre all just amazing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion and the Cobra album blew me away and I've stayed a fan ever since.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
That is freaking awesome and a great video. I've never heard of him, but he is an amazing bassist. That is way cool that he sold you his touring bass!

Hah, thanks :). Two vivid things I remember from my lessons with him:

1. He was saying "bring in tracks that you want to learn to play and we'll figure them out together." and I mention Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. He looks at me and goes "Well bring it in and we'll work on it, or maybe we'll just cheat, call up Vic and have him tell us". My jaw was on the floor at the prospect of that, but I couldn't bring up the courage to ask it in following weeks lmao.

2. The first thing he did on his first lesson was say "okay, play something lets see where you're at". No backing track, no click, nothing. I'm 18 and nervous as all shit, I play TERRIBLY. He looks at me and goes "okay, we have a lot to work on". Through the rest of the session I start to relax, we start playing various things. At the end of the session were jamming a bit, and I'm feeling a lot better. We finish playing, he looks at me a little sideways, pauses for a second, and says "alright, we don't have much to work on..." Best compliment I've ever received. I could never play music again and walk away feeling like I "made it".