Musical Artists we thought would be HUGE that fizzled out.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Name some artists we heard and thought would be huge, but never amounted to anything.

I'm going to start with Macaulay Culkin. When he did the rap break on MJ's Black and White, I thought the rap industry was going to be turned upside down, but for some reason he never wanted to perform live. =(

EDIT: I didn't know this was going to be posting videos...here...try this one:

Last edited:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Whatever happened to Wolfmother? They were the 2nd coming of Led Zeppelin before Greta Van Fleet came around...

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Funny story...I learned how to play that on piano last Summer on a whim. It's only a few chords, but I got good at it. I went to a conference and the hotel I stayed in had an electric piano in the bar area. I walked in after the conference around 10pm at night and thought, "I'll have a drink". There were like 8 attractive women from another conference and 3-4 dudes macking on them... When I walked in, one of the guys was telling them he was an astronaut. For some reason, while he was using that line and saw me, he said, "This guy knows I'm for real...." Of course, I chimed in, "Yeah...I'm in the program too..." I had a drink and walked over to the piano....the guy instinctively yell, "PLAY ROCKETMAN!" I banged it out to the amazement of the bar. I was dying inside because if he'd asked me to play chopsticks, it would have sounded like crap compared to what I played. I was instantly a legend.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Whatever happened to Wolfmother? They were the 2nd coming of Led Zeppelin before Greta Van Fleet came around...

Lead singer had conflicts with the Bassist and Drummer and they split, record company 'forced' him to keep the name and he released a couple of bad follow up albums....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Funny story...I learned how to play that on piano last Summer on a whim. It's only a few chords, but I got good at it. I went to a conference and the hotel I stayed in had an electric piano in the bar area. I walked in after the conference around 10pm at night and thought, "I'll have a drink". There were like 8 attractive women from another conference and 3-4 dudes macking on them... When I walked in, one of the guys was telling them he was an astronaut. For some reason, while he was using that line and saw me, he said, "This guy knows I'm for real...." Of course, I chimed in, "Yeah...I'm in the program too..." I had a drink and walked over to the piano....the guy instinctively yell, "PLAY ROCKETMAN!" I banged it out to the amazement of the bar. I was dying inside because if he'd asked me to play chopsticks, it would have sounded like crap compared to what I played. I was instantly a legend.

this story is...incomplete

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
this story is...incomplete
It's missing either "Dear Penthouse," or

1oki7r.jpg

Think I'll go with the latter.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
"The band has been through many personnel changes since their formation, "

they got too much head inside ass issues to be famous.

fame isn't a matter of talent - it's a matter of hard work.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
When I was young and Cult of personality came out everyone thought Living Colour would be huge. They were tabbed as the next groundbreaking hard rock band. But nothing really happened iirc.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Alien Ant Farm

By the way, this basically boils down to the thread where we talked about one-hit-wonders.

well, the thread went off track around post 7 because no one followed what the OP was doing. This isn't supposed to be that thread.

I'll try to get it back on track with a bomb: Jim McMahon, Walter Payton, William Perry and the rest of the Shufflin Crew, in this gem of the 80s:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
"The band has been through many personnel changes since their formation, "

they got too much head inside ass issues to be famous.

fame isn't a matter of talent - it's a matter of hard work.
The band was the singer though- that dude had some pipes. Been in enough bands to get it though. Artists are moody, and the more talented they are the more mentally unstable they tend to be.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Bay City Rollers

My first non-Child Records were The Bay City Rollers and KISS. I knew who BCR was since they were on the radio constantly, KISS I had no idea, neither did my parents who just asked someone at a Record shop what Kids listened too. lol

Reactions: Captante