Music files Cleanup Application

darkrisen2003

Sep 13, 2004
I know this is going to make me sound incredibly lazy but over the years ive gathered a fairly large collection of music and I was wondering if there are any programs out there designed to look in folders for duplicate files that might be named different names but contain the same data. For me to go and do this manually could take quite a long time and im hoping there is an application out there that can do this. I have ran accross the same song so many times that its aggrevating ( Always with differant names. ) Any suggestions would be wonderful.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Dude, I'll give this a (probably too soon) bump just because I was wondering if something like this existed just the other day.

i.e., ignore the filename, but look at the ID3 tag.

Perhaps using ID3 editing software would allow you to look at your collection in ID3 sorted manner only, so all your KISS songs ( if named correctly in the ID3 tag ) would come up the same way... and you could at least get an idea of how many duplicates you have.
OK. That sentence sucked.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
not with the level of intelligence i think you want. many files of the same song from compilations/sound tracks..encoded at different rates with different encoders etc... no software i know of is smart enough. basically the increase in drive size just lets you get away with a bit of messiness. dont worry about it

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
i used J River Media Center in the past to backup and organize my CD collection. it has a 30 day full feature trial which was enough time for my project :)

i am going to try Media Monkey so i can compare the two.