Mushkin Enchanced Blackline vs. Kingston HyperX

PCJake

Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, I'm comparing these two modules and I'd like some input

1. Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Rated 9-9-9-27, 1.65V
2. Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Rated 9-9-9-24 1.5V

Obviously the timings are a bit better on the Mushkins, but what about the voltage? Will the Kingstons overclock better/worse/the same compared to the Mushkins because of they use more power?

Maybe a silly question, but RAM has never been my strongest subject :p

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As a general rule, is 1.5V better than 1.65V?

If I were shopping for high quality memory, I would use the following parameters as a guide...

* DDR3 rated at 1.5v or lower
* DDR3 rated at the lowest CAS I could afford
* DDR3 rated at the highest clock speed I could afford
* Limit the scope of my purchease to G.Skill, Mushkin, Samsung, Corsair XMS or Crucial (non-Ballistix)

While not wavering on the voltage point, I would balance the other issues with my budget.

Remember, my goal is not pure "benchmarking" performance, but simply finding the highest quality memory I can afford. ^_^
The only reason I pay a premium for low latency, high speed, low voltage memory is...
Quality and quality alone.
1.5v is the JEDEC DDR3 voltage standard.
Stay with 1.5v or less if you can afford it..
:colbert: What he said

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I wouldn't lock myself into two brands like that. There are definitely other, almost certainly more cost efficient purchases to be made.

PCJake

Apr 4, 2008
I wouldn't lock myself into two brands like that. There are definitely other, almost certainly more cost efficient purchases to be made.

Yeah, that tends to be true with most computer hardware, I suppose. But we all have our beloved brands. I'll pay a few dollars more (pretty literally in this case) for Mushkin because of my good experience with them. Nothing wrong with that.