Murderer wants his name removed from Wiki

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
[Wired.com]

I don't think you can pull back information once it's public. He did the crime, he did the time but that doesn't mean he has a clean slate. I understand what the German law is trying to accomplish but I don't agree with it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This is going to become more prevalent. The internet knows no borders, yet every country wants everything on the internet to abide by their rules and laws.

These German laws seem to attempt to try and wipe the past out of the history books. "hey, he did his time, now we must pretend it never happened". Stupid. Hopefully wikipedia sticks to it's guns.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So wait, after a criminal serves his sentence in Germany, the record of that conviction ever happening just...goes away? What kind of retarded law is that?

I'm all for giving people a new chance who have served their time, but come on. You can't squash history, or facts. Facts is facts.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I'm all for giving people a new chance who have served their time, but come on. You can't squash history, or facts. Facts is facts.
Yeah, the problem is that people don't respect the fact that a man who has done his time deserves a new chance, but attempting to cover up his history is an absurdly wrongheaded attempt to fix that.

Jun 26, 2007
So wait, after a criminal serves his sentence in Germany, the record of that conviction ever happening just...goes away? What kind of retarded law is that?

Of course it's stricken from the records in enough years, just like it is in the UK or the US for that matter.

Murder is murder though and it means intentionally, without provocation, taking anothers life.

So i agree that it should be public for life.

Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, the problem is that people don't respect the fact that a man who has done his time deserves a new chance, but attempting to cover up his history is an absurdly wrongheaded attempt to fix that.

Which is why he never should have been released, EVER. Doing the time of a life sentence should mean for as long as you live.

I have no compassion for murderers.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Wiki is based in the US. The US Constitution protects free speech.

US company in US is protected by the US Constitution.

Constitution > German law.

Murderer Fail.

Jun 26, 2007
Wiki is based in the US. The US Constitution protects free speech.

US company in US is protected by the US Constitution.

Constitution > German law.

Murderer Fail.

Haya, wiki.de isn't based in the US and it carries that information.

It's a retarded arguement even if it was. Pedophelia is actually legal in some nations, is it ok to post pics of your children on the forums in nations where it is?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Next they'll ask to remove any references to Germany in articles about WW2. When will Europeans realize that you can't revision history anymore?

Jun 26, 2007
Next they'll ask to remove any references to Germany in articles about WW2. When will Europeans realize that you can't revision history anymore?

This is extremely rich coming from an American who has no doubt been taught that the A-bombs saved lives and forgot that the US was the most discriminating country in the world in those days.

I'm willing to bet £100 that not one of you twats have been taught the truth about how Japan surrendered without giving up their Emperor before OR after the bombs, even though that was what the US was against in the original treaty before the bombs, and i'm willing to bet the same that none of you actually know that Jews were not welcome from the boats at US harbor.

The saviour of the Jews was most certainly NOT the US, it was Europe who hid and fought for them LONG before Nazi Germany declared war on you and you HAD to fight and LONG after that too when they still were not welcome in the US.

I'm fed up with the arrogance and the low level of education of history that you twats get while i as a Brit know full well what we did during the imperialistic regimes and we HAVE both apologised for it and handed it back.

It's time you twats learn something about your own dark past history and why the true test of the A-bombs actually took place.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Haya, wiki.de isn't based in the US and it carries that information.

It's a retarded arguement even if it was. Pedophelia is actually legal in some nations, is it ok to post pics of your children on the forums in nations where it is?

Then I am in error. I read where wiki was based in San Francisco.

Don't mistake legal for right. I'm not arguing that. Germany controls German law. If Germany wants to block a German company from doing something against the law in Germany it may. That does not mean I believe it should.

Jun 26, 2007
Then I am in error. I read where wiki was based in San Francisco.

Don't mistake legal for right. I'm not arguing that. Germany controls German law. If Germany wants to block a German company from doing something against the law in Germany it may. That does not mean I believe it should.

If it is YOUR opinion why the fuck did you bring the law vs us constitution into this at all?

As i said, there are other nations where you wouldn't want things spread that might offend you, perhaps following the law of the nation of the nationality of those you are portraying in pictures or by name would be a FUCKING BRIGHT IDEA?

I dunno, just a thought.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Isn't jurisdiction based on where the servers are located? That means that they could probably get it removed from the German Wikipedia (looks like the servers are hosted in Germany), but if the servers for the English Wikipedia are hosted in the US, Germany doesn't have any authority. It would be perfectly legal according to US law, so the reference would stay up.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
If it is YOUR opinion why the fuck did you bring the law vs us constitution into this at all?

As i said, there are other nations where you wouldn't want things spread that might offend you, perhaps following the law of the nation of the nationality of those you are portraying in pictures or by name would be a FUCKING BRIGHT IDEA?

I dunno, just a thought.

Well dipshit, if it was a fucking US corporation (Fucking San fucking Fran fucking cisco is in the fucking US) then the fucking Constitution would be the valid fucking governing fucking principle and the fucking US laws that fucking result would take fucking precedence. If as you fucking say the fucking site is in fucking Germany then fucking German law would apply. In a fucking moral argument, I maintain that the fucking right fucking of fucking free fucking speech fucking is the fucking supersedes the fucking German fucking POV. I have no fucking choice to fucking accept their fucking decision, and neither would fucking Wiki in this fucking case, but that doesn't mean I fucking like it.

THAT'S THE BRIGHT FUCKING IDEA.

Make more sense? :p

Jun 26, 2007
Isn't jurisdiction based on where the servers are located? That means that they could probably get it removed from the German Wikipedia (looks like the servers are hosted in Germany), but if the servers for the English Wikipedia are hosted in the US, Germany doesn't have any authority. It would be perfectly legal according to US law, so the reference would stay up.

Actually, that depends on the nation, there are shared laws and respected laws between nations that might apply in one but not in the other, either way, international law says NO.

Jun 26, 2007
Well dipshit, if it was a fucking US corporation (Fucking San fucking Fran fucking cisco is in the fucking US) then the fucking Constitution would be the valid fucking governing fucking principle and the fucking US laws that fucking result would take fucking precedence. If as you fucking say the fucking site is in fucking Germany then fucking German law would apply. In a fucking moral argument, I maintain that the fucking right fucking of fucking free fucking speech fucking is the fucking supersedes the fucking German fucking POV. I have no fucking choice to fucking accept their fucking decision, and neither would fucking Wiki in this fucking case, but that doesn't mean I fucking like it.

THAT'S THE BRIGHT FUCKING IDEA.

Make more sense? :p

I read the first two words then i got bored. (as in, that deer is so fucking teal ;))

BTW, i piss all over the US constitution every single chance i get, kinda like the US pisses over every other nations laws every fucking time it gets the chance, not to mention it's own citisens and international law.

I'm starting to wonder how helpful that is though.

Oh, and thanks for putting a smile on my face, in a bad mood today as usual and i needed that. :)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is extremely rich coming from an American who has no doubt been taught that the A-bombs saved lives and forgot that the US was the most discriminating country in the world in those days.

I'm willing to bet £100 that not one of you twats have been taught the truth about how Japan surrendered without giving up their Emperor before OR after the bombs, even though that was what the US was against in the original treaty before the bombs, and i'm willing to bet the same that none of you actually know that Jews were not welcome from the boats at US harbor.

The saviour of the Jews was most certainly NOT the US, it was Europe who hid and fought for them LONG before Nazi Germany declared war on you and you HAD to fight and LONG after that too when they still were not welcome in the US.

I'm fed up with the arrogance and the low level of education of history that you twats get while i as a Brit know full well what we did during the imperialistic regimes and we HAVE both apologised for it and handed it back.

It's time you twats learn something about your own dark past history and why the true test of the A-bombs actually took place.

Keeping that ingrained British arrogance alive and well, huh John? Only you could turn a thread about the Internet into an explanation of how the US hates Jews. :rolleyes:

Of course though, as you explain, the British have apologized for all of their wrongdoings. They haven't actually done anything to fix them, but they've apologized so it's OK.

Jun 26, 2007
Keeping that ingrained British arrogance alive and well, huh John? Only you could turn a thread about the Internet into an explanation of how the US hates Jews. :rolleyes:

Of course though, as you explain, the British have apologized for all of their wrongdoings. They haven't actually done anything to fix them, but they've apologized so it's OK.

Hated Jews, and if you know anything, you know that.

Not only have Britain given back the land WITH all the British belongings on it but also helped with water and supplies for more than three decades.

Thing is, i know i shouldn't reply to CanOfWorms, he trolls like this every fucking time.

So my apologies to every participant, i'll leave this thread alone now and he's going on my ignore list so i won't respond to him again.

Is that fair enough?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

A lot of that stuff is actually taught in schools. In fact, many American intellectuals/professors/teachers/etc. are routinely accused of anti-Americanism by some because those topics are so prevalent in discussion. It's too bad that Europeans aren't as objective. It seems that it always takes an outsider to get European discussion on the issue (see the discussion in recent years about King Leopold II as an example), but they're still resistant to the idea that the glory days of colonialism weren't as rosy as they think. Attitudes such as yours reinforce the ignorance.

Sorry, but I have to request what the UK handed back other than the basic recognition of independence after centuries of oppression? I also doubt you know the full level of what the British did. That would probably take centuries of dedicated study as the extensive list of their genocides, massacres, rapes, pillaging, etc. would surely exhaust many lifetimes.