Mums buying kids unhealthy food for lunch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: xtknight
I'm quite surprised they'd rather starve than eat something healthy. I'd eat fruits and vegetables any day if I were starving. Not that I'm a huge fruit eater myself but they're not that bad. :confused:
Well school lunches are what? Around $2 these days? I can't imagine what kind of dreck they're serving at those prices(and making a profit). When you go that cheap, making anything both healthy & taste good is nearly impossible.

School lunch programs are highly subsidized via the gov't... they get all sorts of stuff for dirt cheap. The problem is that the schools have a hard time making those things tasty.

I've pointed out several times: "How can they call it healthy? They're canned vegetables. They contain virtually zero nutrition."

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: xtknight
I'm quite surprised they'd rather starve than eat something healthy. I'd eat fruits and vegetables any day if I were starving. Not that I'm a huge fruit eater myself but they're not that bad. :confused:
Well school lunches are what? Around $2 these days? I can't imagine what kind of dreck they're serving at those prices(and making a profit). When you go that cheap, making anything both healthy & taste good is nearly impossible.

School lunch programs are highly subsidized via the gov't... they get all sorts of stuff for dirt cheap. The problem is that the schools have a hard time making those things tasty.

I've pointed out several times: "How can they call it healthy? They're canned vegetables. They contain virtually zero nutrition."
Have things changed? When I was in school, the only subsidy was for the kids getting lunch for free, everything else was self-funded with Sodexho trying to make a profit out of all of it.