Multiple video cards -- NOT SLI or CrossFire -- for gaming?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I have a question which is probably really basic, but I have never tried it. Right now, I have an Asus Rampage Formula board. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS 512 in one of the PCIe x16 slots and it is connected to 2 LCD monitors.

I also have a 42" 1080P plasma, and I was thinking it would be nice to be able to play games on it. I was thinking about installing a second video card in the other PCIe x16 slot and connecting it via a long DVI-->HDMI cable (or HDMI to HDMI if the card has it) to the plasma. Does anyone see problems with this approach? I think I would probably want to stick to another nVidia card to avoid issues, correct? Would 2 PCIe nVidia cards work in this system even though 1) I am not trying to SLI them and 2) the board does not support SLI, even if I wanted to?

I'm thinking I would just have a desktop extended to 3 monitors and I could play games in a window, drag them to the plasma, and then maximize them to play.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Cool thanks. I might have a GeForce 6600 or 7800 to test with to see if I like it before I buy a new card.

win32asmguy

Jan 6, 2002
Windows will only give 3d acceleration to the card that has one of its ports set as the "primary" display. Otherwise, it switches to software rendering - regardless of if both graphics cards are of the same brand and series or not.