Multiple unmanaged switches

Doviqe

May 4, 2017
I have to setup a network consisting of 25PCs, a DVR and 3 network printers. There are not enough wall sockets for every network device, so I'll have to use switches in every office - 7 at least. The budget is tight, so all the switches are unmanaged including the main 24-port one connected to patch panel.

The PCs are using internet and occasionally file sharing. Will this setup work?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Yes it will work fine, I was forced to do this for a couple of old locations. You just have to trail ethernet everywhere unfortunately.

Most modern switches are autosensing for uplink but just in case, check for a dedicated uplink port for the office switches. Also if there's going to be a decent amount of traffic, make sure the main 24-port switch has a decent switching capacity.

Doviqe

May 4, 2017
Thank you. The switches are mostly cheap 8-port TP-Link, but they have "auto uplink every port" feature. I just wasn't sure how stable it will work.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes, stability and longevity is the reason why pro routers cost more. They absolutely cannot fail when they are pummelled with traffic. However even here at my office where for some reason they only allow two Ethernet ports for our SQL admin, he's been using during work hours a cheapy $10 Tenda 5 port gigabit for over 1 year with no issues.

Good thing they're only $10... if it's fails having an extra swtich around is a very easy fix.

Feb 25, 2011
29 devices? Meh, probably just fine.

But with that many pieces/parts, I'd edit my troubleshooting checklist. If you have weird network issues, swap cables and secondary switches first.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah i would for sure have a few extra switches and cables kicking around onsite for tech support purposes.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Look into a used managed switch for the main patch panel. Plenty to be had on ebay for not a whole lot of money.