multiple hard drives in Shuttle case

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I'm building another Shuttle computer since my first one died. This time, I plan on using two hard drives instead of one. One is a 10K RPM 74GB WD Raptor, and the other is a 7.2K RPM 1TB Western Digital.

Shuttle cases are very compact, so what hard drive configuration should I place these drives to minimize heat: Raptor on top of the 1 TB drive, or the 1 TB drive on top of the Raptor, or does it not matter? The Raptor will be used for the OS and programs. The 1 TB drive just for data.

Thanks.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: dionx
I'm building another Shuttle computer since my first one died. This time, I plan on using two hard drives instead of one. One is a 10K RPM 74GB WD Raptor, and the other is a 7.2K RPM 1TB Western Digital.

Shuttle cases are very compact, so what hard drive configuration should I place these drives to minimize heat: Raptor on top of the 1 TB drive, or the 1 TB drive on top of the Raptor, or does it not matter? The Raptor will be used for the OS and programs. The 1 TB drive just for data.

Thanks.

i added a second 3 1/2" drive to a Shuttle with the P4 3.06 CPU (the first one with HT). with just one 160 GB PATA, it ran cool. with another 160 GB PATA in the second slot, it started getting noticeably hot. i added thermal paste on the side of the drive, to heat sink it to the drive cage, that helped some. then i glued a small HSF to the side of the drive cage, and cut a hole in the outher case, that got drive temps back to warm/cool.