Multiple GPU tasks einstein@home

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
I hope it's not due to trying to do two Workunits at once.

yeah, i had a feeling it might be a driver issue...not that anything is conclusive yet until you actually try a different driver version. but at least now you know that the invalids weren't caused by overloading (or even just loading partially) the CPU.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Now having a weird issue that occurred overnight with new drivers. It seems like my GPU throttled down on speed when I locked my PC & left the jobs running. I had two the same two GPU tasks running for over 8 hours. If I am active on the PC it runs fast, but if I lock the PC after a period of time it seems to be throttling back the GPU. I checked the frequency and it was low. Cooling isn't an issue. Highest I've seen it get is 63c.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i have no experience with locking my PC (its at home, and only my fiance lives with me, so i've never bothered to lock it)...so i can't tell you if the same thing happens under Catalyst 13.4.

do you have a dummy plug attached to the GPU in question? i know it is not really necessary these days, but it may make a difference in this case.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I think I'm going t go up to 14.4 Catalyst drivers. This was something new to me as it wasn't doing it with the old drivers giving invalids. I'm also going to the latest stable recommended BOINC.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
The 14.4 Catalyst drivers was the sweet spot for me. Getting valids now running two tasks at once on the r9 290. I don't suspect it would benefit much going up to 3 or 4 tasks on one GPU. I do have some tasks that are three days old still pending validation on einstein. I'm assuming that is on their servers. :thumbsup:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
The 14.4 Catalyst drivers was the sweet spot for me. Getting valids now running two tasks at once on the r9 290. I don't suspect it would benefit much going up to 3 or 4 tasks on one GPU. I do have some tasks that are three days old still pending validation on einstein. I'm assuming that is on their servers. :thumbsup:
glad to hear that the invalids are gone. you won't know if the R9 290's efficiency can be improved upon until you try 3 or 4 tasks simultaneously...there is definitely a difference in efficiency between 2 and 3 simultaneous tasks on my 7970, so i think its at least worth it to experiment w/ the R9 290 a little bit.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Weird issue just cropped up and appears to be AMD driver related. Randomly when the screen goes to sleep and you move a mouse the screen will stay black. The PC is functioning fine and I can ping it over network. I've suspended my einstein tasks & went back to newer chipset/display drivers to see if it goes away. If it does, I may experiment more or disable sleep state on monitor all together(idea came to me after upgrading driver).

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
yeah hopefully you can find a driver version that eliminates that issue AND works well w/ Einstein@Home GPU tasks...if you have to come back to this driver version, just disable the monitor's sleep mode and just manually turn it off and on when you must.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
Invalid/Inconclusive WUs, you say.

Omega drivers, you say.

3-4 WUs possibly more efficient than 2, you say.

Hmmm.

Subscribed!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Weird issue just cropped up and appears to be AMD driver related. Randomly when the screen goes to sleep and you move a mouse the screen will stay black. The PC is functioning fine and I can ping it over network. I've suspended my einstein tasks & went back to newer chipset/display drivers to see if it goes away. If it does, I may experiment more or disable sleep state on monitor all together(idea came to me after upgrading driver).

I had that with my HIS 1GB GDDR5 7790 card(s). Royal PITA.

Eventually, one time after I took the machine out of storage again, my HDMI-out port was DEAD! So I used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (an ATI one, that passes audio), and it worked with HDMI, and didn't seem to give me the black-screen troubles anymore.