Multiple displays (horizontal span) mode ? how to enable in Intel HD graphics 3000

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
I know my graphics suck at the moment, thats only because i got a cheap laptop for school, and am waiting on the new ivy bridge laptops in the coming month.

How can i enable the horizontal span mode ? I am trying to run FS2004 across both my laptop and LCD monitor.

It is Win7 !

thanks

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I know my graphics suck at the moment, thats only because i got a cheap laptop for school, and am waiting on the new ivy bridge laptops in the coming month.

How can i enable the horizontal span mode ? I am trying to run FS2004 across both my laptop and LCD monitor.

It is Win7 !

thanks

Um... you're better off sticking to one display, as the hd3000 would give you the highest smoothest frame rates this way.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I think the "extend" option is like the spanning demo you provided.

However, keep in mind that you can configure your displays for each option, however you like, even in contradiction to the terminology. So really, you should choose an option, and then right-click on the desktop and choose "screen resolution". Then enable and configure each display how you prefer. Windows will remember the configuration for each option. For extend, you'd just make sure to enable all displays, and "extend desktop to this display".

Then, you can choose single, and enable perhaps your external display only. Then choose another option etc. etc.

compguy786

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
I think the "extend" option is like the spanning demo you provided.

However, keep in mind that you can configure your displays for each option, however you like, even in contradiction to the terminology. So really, you should choose an option, and then right-click on the desktop and choose "screen resolution". Then enable and configure each display how you prefer. Windows will remember the configuration for each option. For extend, you'd just make sure to enable all displays, and "extend desktop to this display".

Then, you can choose single, and enable perhaps your external display only. Then choose another option etc. etc.

I already know how to do that. I am trying to make flight simulator go across both my laptop display and lCD.

I am waiting on the new line of laptops with ATI/Nvidia graphics. This laptop is just a temp atm

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
"Span" is not a technical term, bro. Get a real GPU if you want Eyefinity/Surround.

span was the orignal term when nvidia started supporting dual monitors back in 2001-ish. the options were 'clone'/duplicate or 'span' but you had to have identical lcd or crts with a common rez/hz. [clone/span]

later they added 'extend' to the options for mismatched rez lcds(ie 19x12 and a 16x10). you could extend the desktop space but a single app wouldnt cover both monitors if maximized. [clone/span/extend]

after vista when unified drivers took over and MS started controlling video functions the nomenclature became 'extend' and 'clone'. now that win7 and the win+P are more commonly known than the old nview or amd eyefinity, everyone uses the term extend instead of span or sls despite the fact that they function differently.

the op's hd3000 supports extended monitors but i doubt the intel drivers are setup to recognize the fact in games. Check on widescreengamingforum, if there is a fix it will be found there. or else run it windowed and set a custom resolution in the game settings.