Mueller to Testify Before Congress - July 17th

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah..There's always the possibility that Bob Mueller is a Trump supporter. But what's more likely, I think, is that he thinks of himself as a conservative above all else - and on some level, preserving the status quo is what's most important to him.

If Mueller actually requested that BS, he's definitely part of the scandal. I don't expect squat from him tomorrow if true.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If Mueller actually requested that BS, he's definitely part of the scandal. I don't expect squat from him tomorrow if true.
I dont know... remember Muellers stepping down speech? It could go both ways I think...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Really hoping a lifetime of service can help Mueller listen to his compatriots urging him to do the right thing, to not shadow Barr into treasonous subservience to a political cult. You are a civilian now Bob, remember that.

The report is your testimony. Great. Now recite your testimony in person for the benefit of Team Treason who refuses to read it. It is not an unreasonable request given the stakes.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The blasts of explosive Twitterrhea hits gale force as Mueller's testimony date approaches:

Said by Napoleon Bonyspurs:

In three sentences, we learn that Robert Mueller is conflicted and ran a witch hunt. But that witch hunt exonerated him. But Democrats want him to testify about that exonerating report which will be bad for them, while he does not wish for Mueller to testify about that exonerating report which will be bad for Democrats. What the ever loving fuck!

basically: such idiots post here, and they vote for the idiot that you quote.

this is America, today.

...side story, I went to Monticello a few days ago.....

anyway, this is America.

today.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^if there is any doubt or confusion in my post: Trump would have been tarred, burned, drowned, stabbed 50 times, and its corpse returned to the British with a stack of receipts for Tea that it used to sell information to the enemy British if the year was 1775 (there is literally no doubt of this absolute truth...replace the drama with any other year, any other controversy, and any other dire enemy. That is is the literal truth of what Trump is. History proves this.)

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
^if there is any doubt or confusion in my post: Trump would have been tarred, burned, drowned, stabbed 50 times, and its corpse returned to the British with a stack of receipts for Tea that it used to sell information to the enemy British if the year was 1775 (there is literally no doubt of this absolute truth...replace the drama with any other year, any other controversy, and any other dire enemy. That is is the literal truth of what Trump is. History proves this.)

You forgot about the noose that would have been around his neck still from being hung so they can stab him 50 times.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm surprised there is no commentary about today's proceedings. I only caught about a half hour of it and it seemed that (for that part at least) Mueller was at times being very evasive. At one point he wouldn't verify a statement that was quoted from his report. He also seemed to have trouble hearing some of the questions asked of him.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm surprised there is no commentary about today's proceedings. I only caught about a half hour of it and it seemed that (for that part at least) Mueller was at times being very evasive. At one point he wouldn't verify a statement that was quoted from his report. He also seemed to have trouble hearing some of the questions asked of him.

A lot of the questions from the GOP were so long & convoluted that any sensible witness would want them repeated so that they'd be sure to get it right. It's a technique to avoid rhetorical traps, of which there were plenty.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Great he's coming, although it's three/four months too late.

WTF, then the Ds break for 6 week recess right after, leaving Trump to pound on this from Twitter with no counterattack?

Pelosi will continue to roadblock impeachment inquires, so other follow ups will be slow, then we're right into the heat of primaries.

Goddamn it. This will end up a nothingberder just through sheer mishandling, rather than T innocence.

I'd saying my original prediction was correct, but for it drastically underestimated the uselessness this testimony provided, and the general incompetence of the Democrats as a political party.

Jesus fing Christ.

Mueller is a failure. He's delivered nothing. Maybe Trump should give more credit to Sessions, as he ended up putting an easily outmaneuvered old dust bag as SC, and was never a serious threat.

Pelosi will have delivered nothing after the speakership was given back to her by the voters in 2018. Not being Paul Ryan isnt good enough.

Ds were sent in to be a hard check on Trump.
What I saw today looked like his re-election chances just went way up.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Kind of makes you wonder if this is the party you want to be a part of sometimes. I feel the new younger progressive Dems are more in line with most liberals. We need a new real legit 3rd party. And 4th, 5th....

I'm ready to fire the whole party leadership and start over.

How they think this energizes voters to vote for them in 2020 is beyond me.

Bumbling, feckless cowards.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
One thing is for sure, Robert Mueller was the wrong guy for the job.
My 90 year old dad is more with it and has more spunk than this guy Mueller.
So tragically sad to watch.
So inept was the investigator. And more so, the investigation.
Did not interview Donald Trump? WTF... seriously?
Did not interview Donald Trump junior? WTF... seriously?
Has all this evidence right before him (Mueller), and Mueller can't make a call one way or the other?
If this is what we get for 20 million, I demand a refund.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

You didn't see any commentary because it was covered in this thread starting at post 23.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/predictions-for-muellers-testimony.2567907/

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It seems that Mueller decided that his mandate was to investigate and to write a report, and those two things were not necessarily connected. Since he was not told to specifically come to any conclusions he decided that investigating did not have any real goal, just spend some time investigating, then some time writing a report. So, now we are left with a report that basically says 'I did some investigating!' but comes to no conclusions about that investigation and gives none of the evidence he uncovered in that investigation. Per his testimony yesterday his report is a really long way of saying 'figure it out for yourself!'

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It seems that Mueller decided that his mandate was to investigate and to write a report, and those two things were not necessarily connected. Since he was not told to specifically come to any conclusions he decided that investigating did not have any real goal, just spend some time investigating, then some time writing a report. So, now we are left with a report that basically says 'I did some investigating!' but comes to no conclusions about that investigation and gives none of the evidence he uncovered in that investigation. Per his testimony yesterday his report is a really long way of saying 'figure it out for yourself!'

And our country and political system is far too tribalized at this point to draw a reasonable conclusion both sides can agree to. So nothing changes. Except more withdrawal into our comfortable safe spaces and continue to spin ourselves up into a frenzy.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
And our country and political system is far too tribalized at this point to draw a reasonable conclusion both sides can agree to. So nothing changes. Except more withdrawal into our comfortable safe spaces and continue to spin ourselves up into a frenzy.

And we have a President that calls anyone that disagrees with him 'The Enemy' and dehumanizes people at every opportunity. We badly need a popular reconciler, someone that can bridge that gap and make us one people again, but I don't think a person like that would be capable of winning in the climate that Trump has created. I don't think a person like that can win in a political system that has embraced corruption as a electoral tool.
The last time our country was this divided we had a civil war. This time the issues are not so neatly divided by state lines so we will have something different, I don't know what, but I can tell you this as people get angry, as people get desperate, as people feel like the government is not working for them, they will increasingly turn to violence as a solution. I can already see the beginnings of this in many different ways. If we allow it to reach that point it is going to be a very bad time for a whole lot of people. And when it all boils over those that caused this will simple fly their jets elsewhere and continue to live in the lap of luxury.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
One thing is for sure, Robert Mueller was the wrong guy for the job.
My 90 year old dad is more with it and has more spunk than this guy Mueller.
So tragically sad to watch.
So inept was the investigator. And more so, the investigation.
Did not interview Donald Trump? WTF... seriously?
Did not interview Donald Trump junior? WTF... seriously?
Has all this evidence right before him (Mueller), and Mueller can't make a call one way or the other?
If this is what we get for 20 million, I demand a refund.

Speculation is that Mueller's health is bad. Supposedly this is why he did not want to testify.

Even in peak form, Mueller was not an effusive witness. According to several people who used to work for him, he was not in peak form Wednesday. He said up front that he would not go beyond the language of his 448-page report. But he declined even to read passages of the report. And, surprisingly, he did not seem conversant in the details of his investigation, repeatedly referring questioners to the language of the report without saying in his own words what it meant.

"Bob Mueller is struggling," tweeted Glenn Kirschner, who once worked for him as a prosecutor. "It strikes me as a health issue. We need only look at footage of his earlier congressional appearances to see the dramatic difference in his demeanor and communicative abilities."

"It's painful to watch," tweeted Mimi Rocah, an NBC News analyst and former federal prosecutor.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...mocrats-don-t-get-their-trump-gotcha-n1034146

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
People are mortal and we all have our individual "good by" dates. Mueller is not exempt from those rules. I think the poor man was hyped up to be some relentless apex predator that was merciless in his pursuit based upon his earlier merits and health from 20 years ago. He's not that same person now. Clearly age is catching up to him and that superman badge people thought was under the suit wasn't quite so super. I really do think that was part of his hesitation and insistence on not testifying. He didn't want to be put under the magnifying glass and compared to himself 20 years ago.