Much to do about nothing

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
msnbc

I hope Obama has already learned, you can't play fair politics with republicans,
let alone McCain.

"Campaign finance experts said the issue was a major test of Mr. Obama?s commitment. It is also a first glimpse of what might come in a general election fight between two candidates who have championed public integrity, opening themselves to accusations of hypocrisy. "

The above is the deepest pile of horse crappie.
McCain no doubt has and already is breaking every finance rule ever created.

I'd love it if Obama would just say screw you to McCain and these republicans, and spend the hell out of McCain any way any how.

Speaking of campaign commitments, wasn?t it Bush that claimed to be a "compassionate conservative"? Like any of them have "morals" in the first place. :roll:

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
As typical, McCain is pulling the "do as I say not as I do" tactic to take the focus off his own campaign funding ...

From the article:
...Mr. McCain may have violated technicalities of the election laws by using his eligibility for public matching funds to help obtain a loan but then opting out of the matching funds at the last minute to avoid the spending restrictions they impose.

This is what Johhnie is all about:

FEC: McCain can't withdraw from public financing until loan questions resolved

The government's top campaign finance regulator says John McCain can't drop out of the primary election's public financing system until he answers questions about a loan he obtained to kickstart his once faltering presidential campaign.

Federal Election Commission Chairman David Mason, in a letter to McCain this week, said the all-but-certain Republican nominee needs to assure the commission that he did not use the promise of public money to help secure a $4 million line of credit he obtained in November.

McCain, a longtime advocate of stricter limits on money in politics, was one of the few leading presidential candidates to seek FEC certification for public money during the primaries. The FEC determined that he was entitled to at least $5.8 million. But McCain did not obtain the money, and he notified the FEC earlier this month that he would bypass the system, freeing him from its spending limits.

But just as McCain was beginning to turn his attention to a likely Democratic opponent, Mason, a Republican appointee to the commission, essentially said, "Not so fast."

By accepting the public money, McCain would be limited to spending about $54 million for the primaries, a ceiling his campaign is near. That would significantly hinder his ability to finance his campaign between now and the Republican National Convention in September.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Some ado about something: McCain is playing the system in ways that presage how he would act as president. He must be trying to appeal to the Bushies.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Pabster
McCain is embroiled in a lot of crap already. Not looking good for November.

Keep cheerleading. "Rah Rah Obama'a My Guy!"

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster
McCain is embroiled in a lot of crap already. Not looking good for November.

No more so than any other candidate.
I believe it's going to be a close race whoever is nominated by their Party, unless of course, one of them screws up in a major way.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this whole thing is such a clusterfuck because of Obama's filibustering on FEC appointments.

they can't hold a quorum, so they can't uphold the own ethics rules Obama championed -- leaving him free to bundle at will, ignoring his own bill -- and they can't actually rule on any of these charges against McCain, leaving him in limbo.

I guess by post-partisan, he means just as partisan.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
this whole thing is such a clusterfuck because of Obama's filibustering on FEC appointments.

they can't hold a quorum, so they can't uphold the own ethics rules Obama championed -- leaving him free to bundle at will, ignoring his own bill -- and they can't actually rule on any of these charges against McCain, leaving him in limbo.

So obama doesn't like the people bush wants on the FEC. Is he supposed to roll of and die in the because Bush said so? That is McCain's job.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: smack Down

So obama doesn't like the people bush wants on the FEC. Is he supposed to roll of and die in the because Bush said so? That is McCain's job.

he could try and work out a compromise with the opposition instead of using it to his own partisan advantage.

I know, what a concept... real shocker that Obama wasn't part of the gang of 14.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

he could try and work out a compromise with the opposition instead of using it to his own partisan advantage.

I know, what a concept... real shocker that Obama wasn't part of the gang of 14.

There is no working out a compromise with Bush. When has he ever compromised on anything. Bush refuses to take no as answer. Hans von Spakovsky didn't have the votes 2 years ago to get on the FEC and he still doesn't.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

This is a parody post right? Tell me that my sarcasm meter is broken and that no one is so stupid as to actually believe this right?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

There is no working out a compromise with Bush. When has he ever compromised on anything. Bush refuses to take no as answer. Hans von Spakovsky didn't have the votes 2 years ago to get on the FEC and he still doesn't.

You took the words right out of my mouth. That guy is more stubborn than a mule.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

You took the words right out of my mouth. That guy is more stubborn than a mule.

And less intelligent

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Can you show me any evidence whatsoever that Bush was willing to compromise or wanted to? He hasn't exactly shown that spirit with... well... any of his other appointments.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: thraashman
Originally posted by: Dari

And less intelligent

:laugh:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Can you show me any evidence whatsoever that Bush was willing to compromise or wanted to? He hasn't exactly shown that spirit with... well... any of his other appointments.

so what's Obama's plan for governorship? preach and give up the moment you hit any opposition?

if he thinks Bush is stubborn, what's he going to do in the face of an opposition-controlled senate? it's not like he doesn't have a pulpit right now -- he could sneeze and the news networks would devote an hour to it.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

so what's Obama's plan for governorship? preach and give up the moment you hit any opposition?

if he thinks Bush is stubborn, what's he going to do in the face of an opposition-controlled senate? it's not like he doesn't have a pulpit right now -- he could sneeze and the news networks would devote an hour to it.

He isn't giving up he is preventing an person he doesn't support from getting on the FEC. That sounds like stand he ground. You are the one wanting him to roll over and do what ever Bush says.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

He isn't giving up he is preventing an person he doesn't support from getting on the FEC. That sounds like stand he ground. You are the one wanting him to roll over and do what ever Bush says.

Well that's how it works. When the Dems's work with Rep's they're pussies. When they get a backbone and make a stand they're practicing bitter partisan politics.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

if he's going to make these ethics reforms he passed the central point of his congressional experience, I'd expect him to do what it takes to make sure the infrastructure is in place to enforce these laws.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

if he's going to make these ethics reforms he passed the central point of his congressional experience, I'd expect him to do what it takes to make sure the infrastructure is in place to enforce these laws.

So he should let Hans von Spakovsky onto the FEC because it would be good for his run for president?