MSNBC Scroll says something about biological weapons getting used

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I just saw something scroll by about biological weapons being used on our troops but can find no corroborating source.

Anyone else hear anything like this?

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
The only thing I saw was in reference to the defeating of the RG and nothing being left but Saddam's thugs inside Baghdad..which supposedly reduces the chances of bio/chem being used against us.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Stupid question but I might as well ask. Who is Chemical Ali?? I saw another thread about that too. Is it a joke or something im missing?

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Stop makin up the news stories, ok guys? :p Think like a news reporter, if you don't have the facts then don't print the story.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
10 minutes ago: Blix: 'Curious' Whether Iraq has Bio and Chem Weapons
U.N. chief weapons inspector Hans Blix says he is "curious" about whether Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

Mr. Blix says he believes Iraq does not have any nuclear weapons, but he does not know for sure if Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has chemical or biological weapons.

Mr. Blix calls that question "the $64 billion question," in a reference to estimates of the costs of the war.

U.N. weapons inspectors are no longer in Iraq, but coalition forces have special mobile inspection teams that respond to reports of suspicious materials.

So far they have found no weapons of mass destruction. But officials believe chemical or biological weapons are most likely to be found within 40 kilometers of Baghdad, an area that is only now in the process of being secured.

Mr. Blix says he believes the war will be over soon, but probably not soon enough for him to return to Iraq before his retirement June 30.

He spoke Friday at a post-war seminar in his native Sweden.

Some information for this report provided by Reuters

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin
10 minutes ago: Blix: 'Curious' Whether Iraq has Bio and Chem Weapons
U.N. chief weapons inspector Hans Blix says he is "curious" about whether Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

Mr. Blix says he believes Iraq does not have any nuclear weapons, but he does not know for sure if Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has chemical or biological weapons.

Mr. Blix calls that question "the $64 billion question," in a reference to estimates of the costs of the war.

U.N. weapons inspectors are no longer in Iraq, but coalition forces have special mobile inspection teams that respond to reports of suspicious materials.

So far they have found no weapons of mass destruction. But officials believe chemical or biological weapons are most likely to be found within 40 kilometers of Baghdad, an area that is only now in the process of being secured.

Mr. Blix says he believes the war will be over soon, but probably not soon enough for him to return to Iraq before his retirement June 30.

He spoke Friday at a post-war seminar in his native Sweden.

Some information for this report provided by Reuters

I am sure once things have calmed down, our 300k inspectors will find lots of stuff.

Ignorance is Blix.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Whatever happened to the thousands of vials of white powder we found? Any news of what it was?

Or was it just Saddam's personal coke stash? ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Whatever happened to the thousands of vials of white powder we found? Any news of what it was?

Or was it just Saddam's personal coke stash? ;)
Inconclusive but not WMD agents. There are 2 threads that updated this earlier today.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
What happened to the reports of Iraqis dumping cyanide in the Euphrates? I'd of thought we'd of heard more on that one, too.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MadRat
What happened to the reports of Iraqis dumping cyanide in the Euphrates? I'd of thought we'd of heard more on that one, too.
Another unconfirmed story that "disappeared".

Truth is often a casualty of war. ;)

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Yes, this is still unconfirmed, but it seems more important things are happening right now.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison

Yes, this is still unconfirmed, but it seems more important things are happening right now.
It seems to be geting "messy" right now. The hope is that Saddam woN'T use WMD - it's getting near that point where he MAY use them.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

It seems to be geting "messy" right now. The hope is that Saddam woN'T use WMD - it's getting near that point where he MAY use them.

At this point he has lost the ability to use them effectively.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What's with peoples beef with Blix? He did his job as laid out and with the data provided, what more was he supposed to do?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I sure hope you're right, charrison.

Have you seen my "worst case scenario" thread? Some analysists are even saying it is likely that Saddam will unleash his entire WMD arsenal when he is certain he is defeated - INSIDE Baghdad to cause maximum civilian and coalition casualties.

It doesn't require many loyal fanatics who also have nothing to lose to carry this out - especially if it was planned long in advance.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
What's with peoples beef with Blix? He did his job as laid out and with the data provided, what more was he supposed to do?

He was not interested in doing a good job. He was not interested in holding Iraq to any of the resolutions. Every time Saddam threw Blix a bone, Blix salivated about new found Iraqi cooperation.

To sum it up, Blix was a tool.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Have you seen my "worst case scenario" thread? Some analysists are even saying it is likely that Saddam will unleash his entire WMD arsenal when he is certain he is defeated - INSIDE Baghdad to cause maximum civilian and coalition casualties.

It doesn't require many loyal fanatics who also have nothing to lose to carry this out - especially if it was planned long in advance.

reason for hope.

1. The order still has to be given. Saddam may be dead, he may not be. Another leader may give the order.
2. The order has to be delivered. Communication has been greatly disrupted. IF the order is given, it may not be received.
3. The order has to be executed. The ability to execute such an order is greatly reduced at this point. The order may simply be ignored as well.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

reason for hope.

1. The order still has to be given. Saddam may be dead, he may not be. Another leader may give the order.
2. The order has to be delivered. Communication has been greatly disrupted. IF the order is given, it may not be received.
3. The order has to be executed. The ability to execute such an order is greatly reduced at this point. The order may simply be ignored as well.
I am dropping out of this thread until tomorrow.
However - in that thread - it was pointed out in 1991 Saddam has PREARRANGED for his Scuds to be armed with Biological and chemical weapons and fired at Israel in the event of an attack on Baghdad - EVEN IF COMMUNICATIONS WERE LOST WITH COMMAND, THEY WERE TO LAUNCH.

I'd say the order to STOP the launch has to be given if Saddam follows his "routine".

The order to execute would be carried out by fanatical loyalists who would be executed for crimes against humanity ANYWAY - they have nothing to lose and share Saddam's "vision" of jihad.

And saying Blix is a tool of Iraq doesn't help your case. It's like saying the US has the only point of view. Remember that only 70% of Americans support the war. 80% of Europe and Russia and China OPPOSE it.