msn messenger bashing thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
Slugbait: where did you make it clear that you had read my post, cause i'm having trouble finding it.
you may have "scanned" it and picked up a few key words but i'm sure if 3 other members understand what i mean it can't be that difficult.

You also clearly said you were not allowed to remove it, and you didn't use quotes the first time...

what first time, i have only said i am not allowed to remove it once.

which led me to believe you were running XP, and that the OS itself wouldn't allow an uninstall

if i meant i couldn't uninstall i would have said i was unable to instead of not allowed.

Sorry, this part didn't make much sense...naturally, MSN Messenger will be back if you re-install it after uninstalling it, all software works that way.

that was in reply to Skyclad1uhm1 who suggested i remove a few dll's.
and she would just reinstall it, if you do that would it not work again, unless you tampered with some shared dll or sth.

MSN Messenger does not "launch itself" when logging on to Hotmail. This is something you can actually blame on Hotmail: their API's call Messenger. The reason for this design is that there is a considerable amount of Messenger integration within Hotmail, allowing you to begin IM sessions directly from the Inbox or an open email message, see which buddies are online (as well as their status), add buddies to Messenger directly from your Hotmail address book, etc. Microsoft considers this to be a "convenience" for their users, and believe it or not, many Hotmail/Messenger users like this integrated environment, an "online community", so to speak. Hotmail no longer integrates with Windows Messenger, so if you are using XP and want to logon Hotmail without Messenger "launching itself", just uninstall MSN Messenger...then you can use Windows Messenger instead, and only when you wish to have it running.

well, that was almost helpful

And when someone goes off bashing a program, without knowing what he's talking about, he comes off looking as if he's trying to bait. Perhaps I'm behaving like a jerk, fine. But at least I know what I'm talking about.

you may know what your talking about but you sure as hell don't know how to get your point accross

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Slugbait: where did you make it clear that you had read my post, cause i'm having trouble finding it.
All I did was try to explain why I reacted as I did, and it was not my intent to further fuel flames (note my joke about Martha Stewart). I went on to simply quote you, then fully explain either what I thought you meant, and/or offering constructive explanations. But homey ain't gonna play that game, obviously...
i'm sure if 3 other members understand what i mean it can't be that difficult
If you are refering to your girlfriend laying down the smack, you can call it "4". The first person who suspected what you actually meant by "allowed" posted: Either that, or your girlfriend rulz your azz when it comes to the machine
what first time, i have only said i am not allowed to remove it once
In your initial post that created this thread:
now i am not allowed to uninstall it
In your second post in this thread:
no no, i am not "allowed" to remove it
For you kidz keeping track at home, that counts as "twice", not "once".
if i meant i couldn't uninstall i would have said i was unable to instead of not allowed.
You wouldn't believe the hundreds of posts...on this forum alone...where people said they couldn't remove Messenger from their machines. And as everyone knows by now, XP does not allow you to easily remove Messenger. Everyone has said it in so many different ways, and many of them also incorrectly refer to Windows Messenger as MSN Messenger, why the hell should I assume from your initial post that you're any different?
and she would just reinstall it, if you do that would it not work again, unless you tampered with some shared dll or sth
Not sure what you mean to say here, either. Plus, I've never heard of "sth". Are you PWI?
well, that was almost helpful
Welcome to Tardville. Speaking on behalf of all the Tardites, we hope you enjoy your stay. There are some stale muffins and flat Pepsi in the kitchenette, please help yourself...

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
ok which version is it that is automatically installed with windows,xp
i go to; find progams, type messenger,and delete the whole file, :)
no more automatically loading messenger crpaoplooooaaaaa :D

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
okies, i'll start a fresh:

i have a problem with msn messenger, it seems like it is being opened by an unknown program, it does it when i log into a .net passport and sometimes when i start crazy browser (IE engine).

does anyone know how i can stop msn messenger from launching without disabling it or uninstalling it?

i have tried X-Setup and it only gives me the option to disable outlook express launching it.

any help appreciated

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I hereby bash Skoorb for using ONLY msn messanger. I hereby REQUEST that Skoorb upgrade his instant messaging capabilities to AIM, PLEASE!?