MSI Z370-A Pro / M.2 screw does not fit the SSD properly?

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Installing a New 960 Evo M.2 NVMe onto a new MSI Z370-A Pro motherboard. The M.2 retention screw which came with the motherboard has a slot machined into the top end of it which looks like it is supposed to accept the indent on the outside end of the M.2, which aligns the SSD perpendicular to the mobo.

https://imgur.com/SIGkvcf

Unfortunately the slot in the SSD barely can fit into the screw slot (like either the slot on the screw was not machined deep enough, or the indent on the SSD is not large enough.

https://imgur.com/zoxWgU2

After talking with tech support at MSI, they told me not to use the slot on the screw at all, instead put the ssd under the entire shoulder of the screw. This seems horrible to me as this places the outside edge of the SSD directly against motherboard traces. Surely that slot on the screw was intended to space the SSD evenly away from any contact with the mobo right?

After a battle with a tech at MSI who insisted it was just fine for the SSD to contact the mobo i finally was able to get an offer of a free replacement screw (for the bargain price of $10.95 S&H).

Any thoughts? is it the standoff screw or the ssd indent which is not to spec? Is this tech correct in suggesting that it's no problem for the outside end of the ssd to rub against the mobo? This last pic shows how the MSI tech insisted was the proper way to install this drive. I call bullcrap!

https://imgur.com/j5iA8Fp

Love to hear your thoughts on this, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No, there should be a stand-off on the motherboard which keeps the M.2 drive straight and from touching the motherboard, like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
No, there should be a stand-off on the motherboard which keeps the M.2 drive straight and from touching the motherboard,

Yeah, if you look at my pics, there is a standoff. The issue is that it's "groove" does not fit into the indent fully (either the slot on the standoff was machined improperly, or the indent on the SSD is out of spec). I'm putting my money on the standoff being wrong. Bottom line is im not paying MSI $11 for a new standoff that may or may not work. More likely to file the indend on the SSD PCB slightly but ughhhhh....really hate to do that.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So looking at your pictures, you have the stand-off portion and the screw on top of the M.2 drive, where the stand-off portion should be underneath your M.2 drive keeping it straight and off of your board, and the screw is the only part that is on top the M.2 drive securing it.

In the 2nd picture you posted above holding it to the M.2 drive, it looks like it would work perfectly.

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
So looking at your pictures, you have the stand-off portion and the screw on top of the M.2 drive, where the stand-off portion should be underneath your M.2 drive keeping it straight and off of your board, and the screw is the only part that is on top the M.2 drive securing it.

In the 2nd picture you posted above holding it to the M.2 drive, it looks like it would work perfectly.

You are missing my point. yes in the 2nd pic it does look like it would work perfectly, but the problem is that the slot in the standoff retaining screw will not allow the screw to slide far enough into the slot, resulting in a thread misalignment. I feel like "maybe" i could force it that last bit but i cant get it to thread, its crooked and i dont want to strip the threads. See on your pic, the screw is centered half and half over the ssd notch. On mine the tread cant barely start to enter the notch and when trying to start the threads it's "cockeyed". thats the problem. Look, I've been in MFG my entire life, I feel like I have a decent grasp on when a screw thread is about to strip out and this does not align properly

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You are missing my point. yes in the 2nd pic it does look like it would work perfectly, but the problem is that the slot in the standoff retaining screw will not allow the screw to slide far enough into the slot, resulting in a thread misalignment. I feel like "maybe" i could force it that last bit but i cant get it to thread, its crooked and i dont want to strip the threads. See on your pic, the screw is centered half and half over the ssd notch. On mine the tread cant barely start to enter the notch and when trying to start the threads it's "cockeyed". thats the problem. Look, I've been in MFG my entire life, I feel like I have a decent grasp on when a screw thread is about to strip out and this does not align properly

My bad. So in simpler terms you could have just said the stand-off or screw was stripped, and won't go in properly. I guess if that is the case, there is nothing anybody here could do for you. You'll just have to wait for the new screw/stand-off to arrive from MSI.

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
well no, thought i was clear in saying that no threads have been stripped YET, but i cant get enough alignment to dare to force it, sorry if i wasnt clear enough.

It's crooked enough that I know whats coming if i try to force it though but yeah, seems like the next step in pressure will be to strip out the mobo threads, dont really care about the screw getting stripped cause replacement is not so much of a prob but like i said when the card is tight in place in the socket, the standoff the screw sits at 30 or plus degree angle. Either the PCB on the SSD is incorrect or the slot on the standoff was machined incorrectly. What happens if i strip the mobo side of the threads? I get another jackass tech support like the last one and I'm stuck with no M.2 retention on my mobo?

You know what, redactedit, just gonna bite the bullet and file the PCB on the SSD to fit around the faulty screw that came with the MSI mobo and be done with it. Just pisses me off that this is what it comes to. Cant believe im about to take a round file to a brand spanking new $200 ssd in order to make up for a redactedscrew that MSI refused to warranty.

well, yeah, live and learn, never had a problem with my Gigabyte boards or their customer service....

Profanity not allowed in the tech forums

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Shirley you have another screw that will screw into the standoff?

You screw in the standoff, then install the drive, then screw the retaining screw in to the standoff, right?

I generally have lots of leftover screws from computer builds.

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Shirley you have another screw that will screw into the standoff?

You screw in the standoff, then install the drive, then screw the retaining screw in to the standoff, right?

I generally have lots of leftover screws from computer builds.

No, this is screw and standoff in one piece. I finally just filed down the PCB some to make it fit the groove in the screw / standoff.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
The screw and standoff are 2 pieces.
Hold the standoff with a pair of pliers and unscrew the screw.
Then follow LTC8K6's directions or those on page 29 of your owner's manual or the video referenced on that same page :rolleyes:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
No, this is screw and standoff in one piece. I finally just filed down the PCB some to make it fit the groove in the screw / standoff.
I thought that was where you went wrong. The screw and standoff are two pieces. Look in your manual as Micrornd advised.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No, this is screw and standoff in one piece.
You must be mistaken. Or the piece was physically just defective. Or you're a gurly-man, and can't unscrew the screw from the standoff. :p (discounting that last possibility)

Edit: Sorry, perhaps that level of sarcasm is unwarranted in the tech forums.

Suffice to say, I'm just saying, I think that you're looking at this the wrong way, and that those two pieces should separate, into a standoff and a screw.

It's possible that they were mechanically applied to the board, in which case, they may be well wedged in there, and you might need a good screwdriver and a pair of pliers to get it loose.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I think you are confused so here i labeled your picture...

stand_off_and_screw.jpg

That piece shown is 2 pieces and not one.
The screw is that bottom part i circled, when you unscrewed it, you screwed the standoff off along with it.

This is because M.2 drives vary in length, so the standoff unscrews to adjust to those length.

If you cant get the screw off, you need pliers to hold the standoff and a driver to unscrew the screw.

no its 2 pieces... the screw is just tightly stuck on the standoff.
Get pliers and and a driver and remove it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think you are confused so here i labeled your picture...

stand_off_and_screw.jpg

That piece shown is 2 pieces and not one.
The screw is that bottom part i circled, when you unscrewed it, you screwed the standoff off along with it.

This is because M.2 drives vary in length, so the standoff unscrews to adjust to those length.

If you cant get the screw off, you need pliers to hold the standoff and a driver to unscrew the screw.

no its 2 pieces... the screw is just tightly stuck on the standoff.
Get pliers and and a driver and remove it.

This is what I was trying to explain in post #4 above. However, a picture probably would have probably saved some time.

I thought they meant their screw was stuck in the stand-off, but maybe they just didn't read the manual or watch a Youtube video on how they work. I guess I have never come across anybody who had this type of problem before.

NRay7882

Mar 19, 2019
It was then, after his sanded his motherboard down to the size of a cookie, that he realized that the motherboard manual on page 29 has a complete diagram showing that the m.2 screw and the m.2 screw standoff, are indeed two separate parts. And by god, they even included a video! He was never seen again.