MSI X99A SLI Plus - Very odd mobo malfunction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kapnobatai

May 6, 2016
Well, almost same issue here. X99 SLI Plus +i7-5820k + 4x8GB GSkill (D432GB 2666-15 Ripjaws 4 Red K4 GSK).
I used this configuration for almost an year, when one morning the system won t boot (can t remember if I did any update or change before that).
I tried several memory modules switching and somehow I comae to th conclusion that one module is faulty.
I got a new quad kit from Kingston (HyperX FURY Black 32GB, DDR4, 2400MHz) and surprise, the system still won t boot with Slot 5 populated. Slot 5 empty, it booted, triple channel.
MSI tech support suggested that I should clear CMOS and upgrade BIOS. I upgraded BIOS manually (because live update couldn t see online the latest 1-B BIOS), I cleared the CMOS and voila, the system booteed succesfully, quad channel, all good.
I mounted back my original GSkill kit, surprise, once again, with slot 5 populated, system won t boot, without it, only 3 modules, system booted.
I tried to clear CMOS but with no results. I m desperate, I need my system on a daily basis and if I ll send the board to service (it s still in warranty period) I might have to wait 2 weeks, which is unacceptable.
I ll try to test each slot and each module to see how it goes, as I m not familiar with DOS MemTest.
If indeed is the MB, than this is the last MSI for me.

kapnobatai

May 6, 2016
well, now doesn t want to boot with all 4 kinstons, but boots with 3. now, it s slot 7 (4th module) which blocks booting :)) it s going berserk

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't see how your problem could be anything but the motherboard kapnobatai.

mcmcmcmcmc

May 4, 2016
To update. Had need to turn the power off again (electrician round doing a CU upgrade so out for hours). Thought may as well try nutternatter34's suggestion about the keyboard given it was easy and i had to turn the power off anyway. SOLVED. +1 Like heading your way.

Did keyboard and mouse for good measure but if i were you OP I'd remove all USB devices and give it a try if you still have it. Just plug back in after power is reconnected for boot. I haven't negatively tested this (or retried again) given i can't be bothered with having to mess about but i see no other good explanation given it had a 100% track record for failing with an outage anything over a few seconds. Obviously this is still a fault but it does save a massive pain in the backside being able to avoid when needed.

I'm using a raptor gaming keyboard and mouse if anyone cares, and they were fine on my old Asus P5B. If i do again i'll confirm.

kapnobatai - well worth reading up on memtest. Finds issues you didn't even know were there on mem sticks. Can then swap slots on a known good stick to test 'dodgy' slot with memtest. I've heard (sorry no link) some boards are more picky on quad channel mode but given it was working ok seems odd. My only other advice, once you get it working again (if this is the same issue suggest some combination of clearing and switching to secondary and back), before turning off the power to change the memory, unplug all USB devices :)

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
This may sound weird, but I remember a similar issue I had in the deep, dark past (like athalon/PI/486dx days). Built a system, wouldn't post, tinkered with it, erratic posting/clearing of BIOS/etc. Ended up fixing by loosening the screws a bit on the board (the case mount screws). Not sure if something was compressing the silicon and breaking/shorting connections, or if there was just a short contact somewhere or what, but loosening fixed it and I was too young at the time to do proper troubleshooting. Worth a try to see if this is still a 'thing'... could also remove it from case completely and just sit it on a box or something.

mike dar

Dec 20, 2016
Late to the party, but having the same problem with a MSI X99 godlike. Bios switch lights both lite up and get 00 code. While trying everything under the sun, and during many on/off cycles with CMOS clearing, power off, pulling the computer plug, master switch, slow boot.. ecetera ecetera.. I had my finger on the bios switch during a restart and saw the bios lights flicker...
I used a non conductive probe to press down on the bios switch while trying to post past the 00 error code I was always getting- I could not guess why the board would have both bios lights on... till this simple attempt.. and see the bios switch itself is faulty.
All the x99(MSI) boards use the same bios chip, the same bios switch- neither can be replaced on the board as I understand. so....
If you have an issue with bios and switching bios and cannot understand why your board will not post AND has both lights on, try moving the bios switch with a little pressure on the switch face...
needless to say, a RMA tech isn't going to inspect the bios switch in any manner and if the switch itself is failing, you will get the same board back, over and over and over.
I do like the board- before failing, maybe a power surge, maybe a win 10 problem.. what ever.. MSI simply has junk for a bios switch and rom chip in the x99 series. Don't believe me?? I'm going through it now and only got the board to post with a little pressure on the bios switch so it would only light one bios light, load one bios and now that it posted, boosted, is online and I removed my 'finger -off the bios switch... both bios lights are lite up again!
Well, as there is no solution after I shut the system off again but to pay 500$ for another Godlike (this one is two years old

Bmvik

Mar 26, 2019
I have the same double light issue as well. Placed computer into hibernate one night and next morning it wouldn't boot. Opened up the case and reset switch on my msi x99a godlike helped to get back to Windows. I thought I was done. Not so. The following day it wouldn't boot again after hibernate. This time (like one of the guys stated above) I had to spend hours resetting, power switch off, etc etc. It just would cycle through many different status/error codes. Sometimes it would not reset even holding button down. So it had to be BIOS, but I couldn't get it to setup screen to even update it. Until I paid attention to the BIOS switch. Researched that both lights should NOT be on. Ever since I got the motherboard 3 - 4 years ago it's been set on the blue LED. Never had to adjust it. Interestingly enough green LED light would be very faint and flickering, while blue was bright ( switch was set to the right side position). Moving switch left to right, right to left during boot somehow miraculously let me in to BIOS. And I updated the green (left) side with flash drive. Decided against updating the blue (right) side since I noticed this bleeding and had no certainty that updating blue wouldn't half bleed the code into green.

thanosalexander

May 16, 2019
almost same issue for me
I have msi x99a krait edition(full specs at the end).
I worked on this for almost 2 years without any single issue.. one day suddenly(or not maybe), it's 3 months now that happens, i face similar issue.
When i click power, sometimes pc not posting in order to see bios, some other yes. When not posting i restart and same loop again till see signal on my monitor..
Sometimes (maybe random event, when i repeat continuiously delete key), it boots, but most time s not!
Even when i click clear cmos button or re-mount battery same thing happen..
I sent it to a company to check it and they told me that to them it booted any time they try to boot and they didnt find anything!
One other strange issue is that when i just installed windows to my m2 disk, then it rebooted flwalessly for next needed restarts to install drivers etc, but next day when i woke up to work,same state again!!
Very very strange, i tested anything..till only motherboard without nothing attached but nothing. I depend on pc when it 'll be available in order to work! Can we narrorw more and solve this situation?
It's first time i see something similar!

- MOTHERBOARD: msi x99a krait edition
- RAM G.SKILL F4-2133C15D-32GVR 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 2133MHZ
- UPS : APC Backup 1400
- CPU: i7 6800
- GRAPHICS: msi GTX1080
- PSU: SILVERSTONE SST-ST70F-PB MODULAR STRIDER 80 PLUS BRONZE 700W

thanosalexander

May 16, 2019
It's a bit difficult to reinstall again.. i've already did 3 last week :) ..
I can disable this option and check..i have all the drivers installed from MSI using liveupdate app too!
2 years in ubuntu before not a single error.. now with windows i got weird issues..
But am not sure it'll help situatuion as it doesnt even post (before display bios), so i dont feel drivers are the cause of error.

thanosalexander

May 16, 2019
i use the same components. even only with disk ,ram and monitor,(nothing from usb) same happens. Sometimes i noticed when i power off ups and open again then it open (sometimes)

razz1354

Dec 1, 2020
Well, almost same issue here. X99 SLI Plus +i7-5820k + 4x8GB GSkill (D432GB 2666-15 Ripjaws 4 Red K4 GSK).
I used this configuration for almost an year, when one morning the system won t boot (can t remember if I did any update or change before that).
I tried several memory modules switching and somehow I comae to th conclusion that one module is faulty.
I got a new quad kit from Kingston (HyperX FURY Black 32GB, DDR4, 2400MHz) and surprise, the system still won t boot with Slot 5 populated. Slot 5 empty, it booted, triple channel.
MSI tech support suggested that I should clear CMOS and upgrade BIOS. I upgraded BIOS manually (because live update couldn t see online the latest 1-B BIOS), I cleared the CMOS and voila, the system booteed succesfully, quad channel, all good.
I mounted back my original GSkill kit, surprise, once again, with slot 5 populated, system won t boot, without it, only 3 modules, system booted.
I tried to clear CMOS but with no results. I m desperate, I need my system on a daily basis and if I ll send the board to service (it s still in warranty period) I might have to wait 2 weeks, which is unacceptable.
I ll try to test each slot and each module to see how it goes, as I m not familiar with DOS MemTest.
If indeed is the MB, than this is the last MSI for me.

I know this is too late but can you tell me what BIOS version did you install? I am having the same issue with ram slot 5. No boot if i install ram in it. Iwant to populate all ram slots.